BACP offers free business education workshops or webinars every Wednesday afternoon and Friday morning. Due to COVID-19, all programs are currently being offered as webinars. Topics include business licensing, operations, financial resources, marketing, and more. Programs are free and open to the public and taught by industry professionals, not-for-profit agencies, and government agencies.
Wednesday, 8/4 at 3:00 PM
City Inspections - Ask Questions, Get Answers
Presented by the City of Chicago
The Chicago Department of Business Affairs & Consumer Protection, Department of Public Health, and the Department of Buildings will provide insight on how operate a compliant business in the City of Chicago. Topics covered will include how to prepare for inspections, building permits and sign display requirements, food inspection overview and necessary certificates, and zoning review procedures. Learn how to operate safely and avoid common setbacks.
Register for the 8/4 Webinar
Friday, 8/6 Webinar at 9:30 AM
Pitch Your Business: Give a Voice to Your Idea
Presented by Myeisha Grady, Business Advisor at the Illinois SBDC at the WBDC
You have a great business idea but you are not sure how to explain it to others. Here is your opportunity to get tips and tools to help you add a voice to the idea you have in a way that others will want to hear it.
Register for the 8/6 Webinar
Wednesday, 8/11 Webinar at 3:00 PM
Legal and Practical Considerations of Starting a Nonprofit
Presented by Erica Spangler Raz, Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights
Learn the ins and outs of starting a nonprofit charitable organization. This workshop covers the legal structure for a nonprofit and how it differs from a for-profit or low–profit organization, the legal steps to obtain income tax exemption and the on-going reporting requirements.
Register for the 8/11 Webinar
Get Your Local Business on Google Search and Maps
Presented by JinJa Birkenbeuel, Birk Creative
In this session we’ll show you how to:
-Create or claim your Business Profile on Google
-Manage your business info across Google Search and Maps
-Use Google My Business to connect with potential customers
-Create a free website using the info from your Business Profile
Register for the 8/13 Webinar
Plan for a Successful Business
Presented by Score Chicago
A thoughtful and well-executed business plan is the first step for every potential entrepreneur. Businesses differ in value, marketing, production, operations, and financial objectives, and good planning increases the odds of success.This workshop covers the essential elements of business plan development.
Register for the 8/18 Webinar
Emergency Grants and Loans for Small Businesses
Allies for Community Business (formerly Accion Chicago) is the program administrator of the $250 million State of Illinois Back to Business (B2B) Grant Program. Join us to get detailed information about B2B eligibility and application requirements, as well as answers to your questions about the program. In addition, learn about A4CB small business loans between $500 and $100,000. A4CB will give an overview of what is required to apply for a small business loan which carries a 3% interest rate until the end of 2021.
Register for the 8/25 Webinar
Friday, 8/27 Webinar at 9:30 AM
Financial Statement Basics
Presented by Diane Chabes,CPA, MBA; Assistant Professor of Accounting at Rockford University’s Puri School of Business
How to get started reading, understanding and using the financial statements. What’s behind the numbers when you look at the balance sheet, income statement, statement of retained earnings and statement of cashflows for a company? This will be a brief overview of how to get information from those statements and why having competent accountants preparing them is important.
Register for the 8/27 Webinar
- View Paycheck Protection Program and How to Apply
- View Navigating the Phase Four Mitigation Measures
- View The Paycheck Protection Program and Other Emergency Funding Opportunities
- View Navigating the Statewide Tier Three Resurgence Mitigations for All Businesses
- View Chicago Hospitality Grant Program Webinar (English)
- View Chicago Hospitality Grant Program Webinar (Spanish)
- View Chicago Hospitality Grant Program Webinar (Mandarin)
- View Chicago Hospitality Grant Program Webinar (Polish)
- View the 10/16 Winter Outdoor Dining During COVID-19
- View Illinois Business Interruption Grants (BIG) Program
- View Overview of Chicago's Paid Sick Leave Ordinance
- View Overview of Chicago's Minimum Wage Ordinance
- View Overview of Chicago's Minimum Wage Ordinance
- View Chicago Fair Workweek Overview-Part 1
- View Chicago Fair Workweek Overview-Part 2
Visit BACP’s YouTube page for all additional webinars.
- To view Low-interest Disaster Loans for Those Affected by Civil Unrest by The Small Business Administration (SBA)
- To view Coronavirus (covid-19): Small Business Guiance & Loan Resources by The Small Business Administration (SBA)
- To view Coronavirus (covid-19) Small Business Guidance & Loan Recovery for Sole Proprietors by The Small Business Administration (SBA)
BACP Entrepreneur Certificate Program
The Chicago Department of Business Affairs & Consumer Protection (BACP) Entrepreneur Certificate Program is a free and optional program available to attendees of the free BACP business education workshop and webinar series.
For program details (enrollment, requirements, contact information, etc.) and to enroll go to Entrepreneur Certificate Program
This does not make your business certified with the City of Chicago. If you are interested in the City of Chicago M/W/VBE Certification program, please visit www.chicago.gov/DPS