Expanded Outdoor Dining - Locations on the Public Way
The Expanded Outdoor Dining Permit allows restaurants and bars to expand their operations during the COVID-19 reopening into the public way or private property. Chambers of Commerce, SSAs, Business Associations or three or more establishments can apply to close a street for outdoor dining. Individual restaurants or bars can apply individually to operate on private property (i.e. parking lots), and liquor-only establishments can apply to operate on the sidewalk immediately in front of their establishment.
During the weekend of September 18-20, the following locations will use the Expanded Outdoor Dining Permit to expand onto the public way (note- most locations operate on the weekend only):
- Andersonville: W Balmoral St both sides of N Clark St
- Chatham: E 75th Ave from S Calumet Ave to S Indiana Ave
- Chinatown: S Archer Ave from S Wentworth Ave to S Princeton Ave
- East Rogers Park: 1500 to 1524 W Jarvis Ave
- Edison Park: N Oliphant Ave from Northwest Highway to the first alley
- Fulton Market: W Fulton St from N Morgan St to N Carpenter St
- Lakeview: N Southport Ave from W Waveland St to W Grace St
- Lakeview: N Broadway from W Diversey Pkwy to W Belmont Ave
- Lincoln Park: N Lincoln Ave from W Fullerton Ave to W Wrightwood Ave
- Lincoln Park: W Shubert St from N Halsted St to the alley east of N Halsted St
- Little Italy: S Laflin St from the alley north of W Taylor St to the alley south of W Taylor St
- Lower West Side: S Oakley Blvd from W 24th St to W 24 Pl
- River North: N Wells St from W Huron St to W Superior St
- River North: N Clark St from W Grand Ave to W Kinzie St
- Roscoe Village: W Roscoe St from N Seeley Ave to Damen Ave
- Rush & Division: N Rush St from E Oak St to E Cedar St, E Bellevue Pl from N State St to the first alley east of N Rush St and W Division St from N Dearborn St to N State St
- West Lakeview: W Cornelia Ave from N Southport Ave east to the alley and N Paulina St from N Southport Ave south to the alley.
- West Loop: W Randolph St service lanes from Expressway to N Elizabeth St
Learn more about the permit, including how to apply, here.
Questions about this permit can be submitted to email@example.com.
Learn more about Chicago’s guidelines for restaurants and bars operating during phase four here.