The Easy Permit Program is a streamlined permitting process for small, simple home and building improvement projects. It allows home and building owners to obtain a permit to repair or replace existing features of a building or make minor modifications without providing architectural plans. You can use the Easy Permit Process for the following project types:
Inside the Building
- Drywall Replacement (greater than 1,000 square feet)*
- Furnaces (replacement of existing gas-fired only in all commercial buildings and residential buildings with 4 or more dwelling units)*
- Existing Plumbing Fixture Replacement
- Electrical Work (requires a licensed electrician)*
- Counter Top and Cabinet Replacement (required for condos only)
- Scaffolding (an easy permit can be received same day if the work has been approved by the Chicago Department of Transportation)
Outside the Building
- Doors/Window Replacement (4 dwelling units or more, if same size, same location)*
- Fences (non-masonry fences greater than 5 ft. in height or masonry walls of any height)*
- Sheds greater than 70 square feet (electrical permit required)*
- Detached frame garages, up to 600 square feet in area, without rooftop deck*
- Trash enclosure (wood only)
- Porches (if a violation report says permit for repairs only)
- Masonry work (mason contractor required)
- Tuckpointing (mason contractor required, masonry cleaning and grinding require a pollution prevention permit)
- Roofs (If adding a layer, a general contractor or primary owner can perform the work)*
- Roofs (If total tear-off, must employ Illinois-licensed roofing contractor)
- Fire Damage (buildings with 24% damage or less, require demolition inspection approval and an electrical permit)
- Lintel repairs (6’-0” opening maximum, mason contractor required)
Note: for project types marked with an asterisk (*), the easy permit may be obtained online.
How It Works:
- Available at our City Hall office, Room 900
- Before your visit, download an application form, then submit the application at one of our offices, plus any additional documentation (must have PIN #).
- Some permits can be obtained online – apply for an Easy Permit, pay for it and print it out.
- Before submitting the Easy Permit Process application, please note the application must be signed by the owner. If the owner does not sign the application, the application is automatically rejected.
- Provide a copy of a contract signed by the owner and contractor describing the scope of work. Provide a signed letter of intent for general contractors, plumbing contractors as applicable.
- For more detailed information, please reference the Easy Permit Process Flowchart.