Pedestrians--Safety tips for child pedestrians
- Kids age 8 and under should cross streets with an adult or older kid.
- Don’t let young children play near traffic, streets, or alleys. They can’t safely judge how fast cars are coming.
- Teach kids to walk on sidewalks, not streets, and to obey all traffic signals.
- Teach kids the safe way to cross streets:
--Cross at corners, not in the middle of the block.
--Before crossing, stop at the curb and look left, right, and left again.
--Peek around parked vehicles.
--Listen for cars they can’t see.
--Never dart into traffic between parked cars.
- At night, kids should wear bright clothes and use reflectors.
- Show your children how to walk safely. Watch how they walk. When they start to walk safely, reward them by letting them go farther or alone more often.
Walking your child to school is a great way to be healthy!