Smoke Detectors Save Lives!
- Make sure you are testing your detector correctly.
- When a smoke detector sounds, get outside and call 911. STAY OUTSIDE.
- Correctly installing and maintaining your detectors is vital in reducing fire deaths, injuries and saving lives.
- Install smoke detectors within 15 feet of any sleeping room and outside each separate sleeing area.
- Install smoke detectors on every level of your house.
- Replace your smoke detector every 10 years. Write the install date on the unit.
- Don't forget to install Carbon Monoxide detectors on every floor as well. Come back here in a few weeks to learn more about Carbon Monoxide detectors.
- Any question on smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors, call our Public Education Division at 312-747-6691
Download our Smoke Detector Brochure Here