13th Season Of Free Ice Skating In Millennium Park
The McCormick Tribune Ice Rink Opens On Friday, November 15
Cindy Gatziolis 312.744.0573
New This Year: Winter Workouts with Free Skating Lessons
The McCormick Tribune Ice Rink in Millennium Park will open on Friday, November 15, 2013 and will remain open through Sunday, March 9, 2014, weather permitting.
For more than a decade, the rink has drawn more than 100,000 skaters annually and is free and open to the public. New this year are Winter Workouts presented by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events. On Fridays-Sundays, one hour before the rink opens, free ice skating lessons will be offered. Each Thursday will feature ice sports skills and drills for Noodle Hockey, curling and speed. Grant support was provided by McDonald’s Active Lifestyles Endowment, managed by Millennium Park Foundation. The rink, located on Michigan Avenue between Washington and Madison Streets.
The McCormick Tribune Ice Rink will operate under the following hours:
- Monday-Thursday, Noon-8 p.m.
- Friday, Noon-10 p.m.
- Saturday (Through Jan. 4), 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Saturday (Beginning Jan. 11), 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Sunday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
Special Holiday Hours
- Thanksgiving Thursday, Nov. 28, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Friday, Nov. 29,10 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Christmas Eve Tuesday, Dec. 24, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Christmas Day Wednesday, Dec. 25, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 26 through Monday, Dec. 30, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve Tuesday, Dec. 31, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
- New Year’s Day Wednesday, Jan. 1, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, Jan. 20, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Lincoln’s Birthday, Feb. 12, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
The Ice Rink was the first element of Millennium Park to be opened to the public. A special ribbon cutting ceremony on December 20, 2001 featured performers and skaters including two gold-medal winning hockey players from the USA women’s team, the Radio City Rockettes and actress Bonnie Hunt. The rink is 200 ft. long, 80 ft. wide and has 15,910 sq. ft. of skating surface.
# # #
NOTE TO PRESS: For information on Chicago Park District ice skating rinks, visit chicagoparkdistrict.com.