Chicago Blues Festival Press Room
Media Credentials for June 5, 6 & 7, 2020
We thank you for your interest in covering the 37th Annual Chicago Blues Festival in Millennium Park.
To apply for press or photo credentials, please send your request on media letterhead before Friday, May 29, 2020, via email at DCASEPR@cityofchicago.org, fax at 312.744.8523 or mail to:
Chicago Blues Festival Media Credential Requests
Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events
Chicago Cultural Center
78 E. Washington St., 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60602
Note that space is limited, especially for the main stage at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion and NOT all credential requests will be granted. Submission of a request or a past confirmation does not guarantee acceptance for this year’s festival. You will be notified if your request is accepted.
Press access is complimentary. It provides access to the press seating area only AND the NEW Year of Chicago Music Legacy Lounge. NOTE: Video cameras are not allowed in the photo pits. Please provide the names of each writer and photographer and specify which of the following media credentials are needed:
- Main Stage PHOTO Credential for the Jay Pritzker Pavilion – due to extremely limited space, only one photo credential will be granted per outlet for photographers.
- General PHOTO Credential – general photo credentials provide access to the Bud Light Crossroads, the Southwest Airlines Front Porch and Jackson Mississippi Rhythm and Blues Stage photo area, but not the Jay Pritzker Pavilion. Due to extremely limited space, only one general photo credential will be granted per outlet for photographers.
- Main Stage and General MEDIA Credential – general media credentials provide access to the press seating at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion, Bud Light Crossroads, the Southwest Airlines Front Porch and Jackson Mississippi Rhythm and Blues Stage seating areas, but not the Jay Pritzker Pavilion. Due to extremely limited space, only one general media credential will be granted per outlet for writers. Seats in the press section at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion are first come, first serve.
NOTE: If your outlet is assigning more than one photographer in order to capture all the stages (including the main stage) you will receive photo credentials for the side stages but ONLY ONE for the Jay Pritzker Pavilion main stage. Everyone is welcome to sit in the general seating area of the pavilion.
Freelance writers and photographers must submit requests for the outlet he/she is representing on the company’s letterhead with the assignment editor’s signature and contact information. Eligibility will be determined on a case-by-case basis, and you will be notified if you are approved.
Social Media, Websites, Podcasts, eNews, etc.
Press admittance is open to journalists working with commercial news or industry-related websites. The website must be established and updated regularly with relevant original and current content. Please provide a link of past Chicago Blues Festival coverage or similar reportage with your request. Web designers, editors, marketing and PR representatives do not qualify for media credentials.
Media credential requests from bloggers will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Bloggers must host professional, industry-related blogs with original content. A link to the blog must be submitted along with the number of unique visits per month and how often it is updated.
Video and audio recording for broadcast is allowed up to 5 minutes for non-commercial use only. Any commercial use is prohibited without artist consent and written authorization by the Chicago Blues Festival and the City of Chicago (fees may apply). You must advise Festival Media Contact if you are planning to record – please note, fees may apply. Drones Are Prohibited In Millennium Park.
For all media inquiries about the festival other than credential requests, please contact:
Public Relations and Chicago Blues Festival Media Manager
Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs & Special Events
Please note before making your request:
- Press credentials and photo passes are limited and you must be on assignment from a media outlet to cover the Chicago Blues Festival.
- Applicants should be prepared to supply copies of recent and relevant coverage (links are sufficient). Clippings can be from previous year’s coverage or coverage of similar types of concerts and festivals.
- College newspapers and photographers will have limited access. Cases will be reviewed and each request must be accompanied by a letter from a faculty advisor on college or University letterhead.
- Because you are working, if credentialed, there are no opportunities to bring a guest.
- Some Artists’ management will have final decision on credentialing.
- Photographers: We appreciate the offer but do not contact us to offer your services. We have photographers in place with the City of Chicago.
Corporate Partnership Opportunities
To partner with the Chicago Blues Festival, visit our Corporate Partnership Opportunities page.