March 25, 2021 | 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
The 2021 Construction Summit was a one-day conference held virtually on March 25, 2021. At the Summit, local construction industry members and practitioners came together to learn about key trends and concepts for advancing their business. Subject matter experts provided insight in 5 different sessions that covered information about upcoming contracting opportunities from key City of Chicago infrastructure departments, which manage hundreds of construction projects annually. The Summit also provided an opportunity to engage with industry leaders, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and other businesspeople that influence the future of the construction industry in the City of Chicago.
Missed a workshop? No problem. Below are the recordings of workshops and downloadable presentations. Use this resource to review this information and help your business succeed.
2021 Virtual Construction Summit Workshop Presentations
CDOT will highlight contracting opportunities related to road construction projects throughout the City of Chicago. CDOT will provide an overview of the work that is needed, including paving, site grading, landscaping, watermain installation, as well as lighting and other electrical work.
AIS is responsible for maintaining and repairing City-owned and leased vehicles and the operation, maintenance and repair of City buildings and properties. AIS is also responsible for custodial services, security coverage, graphic services, mail service, relocation services, document storage and management, energy procurement, and environmental, health, and safety management. Finally, AIS coordinates Citywide technology business processes and solutions, and provides network, database, software, and technical support for all City departments.
As the principal planning agency for the City of Chicago, the Department of Planning and Development ("DPD") promotes the comprehensive growth and sustainability of the City and its neighborhoods. DPD also oversees the City's zoning and land use policies and employs a variety of resources to encourage business and real estate development, historic preservation, accessible waterfronts, walkable neighborhoods, and related community improvements.
The City of Chicago’s two major airports (O’Hare and Midway) create more than $45 billion in annual economic activity and create 540,000 jobs for the region. This workshop focuses on aviation-specific contracting opportunities in construction, work services, operations, and maintenance.
DWM will review the ambitious 10-year Capital Improvement Plan, opportunities in water and sewer main replacement, facilities modernization for engineering and construction projects. These contracts, both term agreements and standalone contracts will be available to bid.
2020 CONSTRUCTION SUMMIT
The City of Chicago Department of Procurement Services (DPS) hosted the eighth annual Construction Summit at Malcolm X College, 1900 W. Jackson Blvd. Each year, this event provides local residents and businesses an unparalleled opportunity to network and gain information around upcoming construction and construction-related projects underway in the City of Chicago. Nearly 1,000 attendees had the opportunity to meet with over 85 exhibitors representing all levels of local government, city vendors and other hiring firms.
City of Chicago User Departments & Sister Agencies
- City of Chicago Department of Assets, Information & Services
- City of Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA)
- CDA Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR) - Austin Power Partners
- CDA Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR) - Turner Paschen Aviation Partners
- CDA Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR) - AECOM Hunt / CLAYCO
- City of Chicago Department of Buildings
- City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs & Consumer Protection (BACP)
- City of Chicago Department of Housing
- City of Chicago Department of Planning
- City of Chicago Department of Procurement Services (DPS)
- City of Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT)
- City of Chicago Department of Water Management (DWM)
- City of Chicago JOC Program (Gordian Group)
- City of Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communications
- City Treasurer's Office
- Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD)
- Chicago Housing Authority
- Chicago Housing Authority Section 3
- Chicago Park District
- Chicago Public Schools
- Chicago Transit Authority
- City Colleges of Chicago
- McCormick Place
- Public Building Commission
Cook County | State of Illinois | Regional | Federal
- Cook County Department of Transportation and Highway
- Cook County Facilities Management
- Cook County Health
- Cook County Office of the Chief Procurement Officer
- Forest Preserves of Cook County
- Illinois CMS Business Enterprise Program
- Illinois Capital Development Board
- Illinois Office of the Comptroller
- Illinois State Treasurer Michael Frerich’s Office
- Illinois State University
- Illinois Tollway
- Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission
- Metropolitan Water Reclamation District
- Regional Transportation Authority (RTA)
- State of Illinois Department of Human Rights
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Office of Field Policy Management
- University of Illinois
Assist Agencies & Support Organizations
- Angel of God Resource Center
- B/ACE Magazine
- Better Business Bureau
- Black Contractors Owners and Executives (BCOE)
- Black Contractors United
- BOP PROJECT 5000 NFP DBA BOP BIZ CENTER
- Chatham Business Association
- Chicago Minority Supplier Development Council
- Chicago Urban League
- Contractor Advisors Business Development
- Cosmopolitan Chamber of Commerce
- Federation of Women Contractors
- Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses
- Hispanic American Construction Industry Association (HACIA)
- Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- LGBT Chamber of Commerce of Illinois
- Native American Chamber of Commerce of Illinois
- Polish American Chamber of Commerce
- Sunshine Enterprises
- Sustainable Options for Urban Living, Inc. S.O.U.L.
- The Monroe Foundation
- U.S. Minority Contractors Association
- World Business Chicago/ChiBizHub
- Women Business Development Center (WBDC)
Employment & Labor
- Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership
- Chicago Women in Trades
- Construction Industry Service Corporation (CISCO)
- HIRE360 Chicago
- IBEW #134
- Illinois Department of Human Services
- Lakeside Alliance
- Pipe Fitters' Local Union 597
- Operating Engineers Local 150
- Chicago Regional Council of Carpenters
- Assurance Agency
- BMO Harris Bank
- New York Life / NYLIFE Securities
- Inner City Underwriting Agency
Veteran & Community Resources
- Chicago Veterans
- Elite SDVOB Network
- Census Bureau
- Chicago 311 Modernization
DPS “FIRST LOOK” SERIES - Subject matter experts providing information about upcoming contracting opportunities from key City of Chicago infrastructure departments, which manage hundreds of construction projects annually.
11:00 a.m. Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT)
12:00 p.m. Department of Water Management (DWM)
1:00 p.m. Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA)
RESOURCES TO START, RUN & GROW YOUR BUSINESS - 11:00 a.m.
Whether you’re a startup, established, or about to expand your business, find out what resources are available to business owners. In this workshop, entrepreneurs will learn what small business resources are being offered by the City, delegate agencies, and other community partners.
City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs & Consumer Protection (BACP)
2020 DISPARITY STUDY: CITY OF CHICAGO M/WBE CONSTRUCTION PROGRAM – 11 a.m. & 1:00 p.m.
The City of Chicago has kicked off a disparity study for the City’s MBE/WBE Construction Program. This session will introduce the community to the study process and provide an overview of all the study elements. Attendees will learn about public involvement in the study and opportunities for interested parties to participate.
CONSTRUCTION TRADES INFORMATIONAL 101 – 11:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m.
Are you interested in learning more about a career in the construction trades? Come hear from union leadership as they discuss the trade entry process, application intake dates, and give you an inside look into a rewarding career in construction trades.
AN INTRODUCTION TO THE JOB ORDER CONTRACT (JOC) PROGRAM – 12:00 p.m.
A Job Order Contract (JOC) is another delivery method for the City of Chicago to procure construction services. JOC is a firm, fixed price, competitive bid with indefinite quantity, delivery method designed to produce a large number of multi-traded, repair and rehabilitation projects, as well as, minor new construction projects quickly. Come out and find out how a Job Order Contract could benefit your company.
BECOMING A CERTIFIED BUSINESS – 12:00 p.m.
This workshop will provide information on the different small business certification programs that are available in the Chicagoland region. Find out what documents are needed when submitting an application, who qualifies and how to avoid the most common mistakes.
BUILDING THE WORKFORCE OF TODAY: DIVERSITY IN CONSTRUCTION - 12:00 p.m.
Come hear from subject matter experts about their efforts and plans to ensure diversity in construction for residents of Chicago. This session is geared towards contractors seeking to address their workforce needs.
FINANCIAL RESOURCES FOR YOUR CONSTRUCTION BUSINESS – 1:00 p.m.
In today’s business environment the Financial Services industry is constantly evolving to encompass a broad range of services and programs for businesses. This panel will explore Financial Services key issues and opportunities and share an array of innovative solutions and best practices.