Senior Citizen Sewer Service Charge Exemption

The Senior Citizen Sewer Exemption entitles seniors aged 65 or over, residing in their own residence with separate metered water service or a separate city water assessment for that residential unit, to an exemption from payment of the sewer service charge for their residence. This exemption provides substantial savings to seniors.

To be eligible for the sewer service charge exemption you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be 65 years of age or older
  • You must be the owner of the residential unit
  • You must occupy the residential unit as your principal place of residence
  • The residential unit must have a separate water meter or assessed account

If you meet all the above criteria and wish to apply, you must submit a Senior Exemption Application. The form must be completed in its entirety and submitted with all supporting documentation. A Spanish version of the application is available here: Spanish Version Senior Exemption Application.

If the conditions under which you submit your application change, you are required to make the City aware of these changes to determine if the exemption still applies.  If it is determined that this exemption was approved under false pretenses, you may be liable for any previously waived charges as well as any applicable penalties or fines. The City reserves the right to request recertification of the exemption periodically.

Persons aged 65 or over who reside in their own residence but do not qualify for the Senior Citizen Sewer Exemption because their residence is a townhouse, condominium unit, or cooperative apartment that does not have a separate metered water service or a separate City water assessment for the residential unit may apply for a refund in lieu of exemption. The amount of the refund is $50.00 per calendar year. Applications for this refund are made through your Aldermanic office.

For more information on this exemption, please contact Customer Service at 312.744.4426.

 Supporting Information Facts

 I Want To