Apply for Rental Assistance Program (RAP)
Para obtener información sobre asistencia de alquiler en español, haga clic aquí.
If you require RAP information in a language other than English and Spanish, in-person and phone translation are available. Please call or visit any of our six Community Service Centers listed at the bottom of this page for help in your language.
RAP is open to all Chicago residents regardless of legal immigration status. Rental assistance is not a “public-charge” benefit. If you are a person living with HIV, specific resources are available for you by calling the HIV Resource Coordination Hub at 1-844-HUB-4040.
Are you Eligible for the Rental Assistance Program?
The Rental Assistance Program (RAP) provides funding to Chicagoans who are at risk of becoming homeless. RAP helps Chicagoans who have housing right now, but who may become homeless soon because they lost income or had another eligible emergency which prevents them from paying rent.
ASSISTANCE MAY INCLUDE:
- Payment of future rent, or rent arrears to prevent eviction
- Security deposits in cases of fire, flood, foreclosure, domestic violence, or eviction
YOU ARE ELIGIBLE IF:
- You live in the City of Chicago
- You are at risk of becoming homeless due to eviction, loss of income or other emergency
- You economically classify as a low-income household
- Your landlord completes the RAP requirements
OPTIONS TO PROVE ELIGIBILITY:
- Eviction notice, proof of loss of income or proof of other qualifying emergency
- Paystub, benefits statement, or affidavit (explanation) of no income
- Driver's License, State ID, CityKey, or other
- Landlord agreement forms
Apply Online - Click Here
Download the RAP Flyer (click here)
Download FAQs (click here)
What Will Happen After You Apply
When your application is chosen, a case manager will call or email you to make sure your application is complete. They may ask you to submit more documents. An in-person, video, or photo inspection of your rental unit is then required to make sure the unit meets federal standards.
Watch These Helpful Videos for More Info on RAP