Heat Emergency Mobilization
July 18, 2019
#Beat the Heat!
Keep Your Cool During Extreme Hot Weather
Extended Cooling Center Hours
Thursday - July 18 and Friday - July 19
All 6 Service Centers will be open 9AM to 7PM
Garfield - 10 S. Kedzie will be open Saturday - July 20 from 9AM - 5PM
Garfield Center is always open 24 hours to connect residents to shelter
Call 311 to locate a Cooling Center near you
The Chicago Department of Family and Support Services has six community service centers that operate as Cooling Centers when temperatures because dangerously warm.
The City is providing extra resources to help residents beat the heat this week. The Department of Family and Support Services has extended hours at all six DFSS Cooling Centers: Thursday, July 18, 2019 and Friday, July 19, 2019 from 9 am to 7pm. The Garfield Community Service Center located at 10 S. Kedzie will be open on Saturday, July 20, 2019 from 9 am to 5 pm and is always open 24 hours to connect residents to shelter. DFSS encourages seniors to stay home, however if they do not have air conditioning there are 21 senior centers that operate as cooling centers. The 6 regional Senior Centers will be open for extended hours from 8:30am to 7pm. To find a cooling center nearest you call 3-1-1 or visit 311.Chicago.gov.
DFSS also asks that residents check on their neighbors, family and friends, particularly those who might be isolated and to call 311 if you are not able to make contact.
Oppressive summer heat is more than uncomfortable. High temperatures and humidity can pose a health and safety threat. The City of Chicago has many services available to help residents cope safely with extreme weather conditions.
Call 311 TO:
- Locate a Cooling Center near you.
- Request a well-being check for someone who may be suffering from the heat.
- Register for the City’s Extreme Weather Notification System.
Beat the Heat Cooling Tips
- During the summer months, the Chicago Department of Family and Support Services operates six cooling centers located inside of the City’s six Community Service Centers. The Garfield Center, located at 10 S. Kedzie, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to connect residents to emergency shelter. For more information, contact 311 (@Chicago311) for more information. #311
- Cooling Tip! The City of Chicago has many services available to help residents cope safely with extreme weather conditions. Call 311 to locate a Cooling Center near you or to request a well-being check for someone who may be suffering from the heat. #BeatTheHeat #StayCoolChicago
- Cooling Tip! It’s important to stay hydrated during the extreme summer heat! Make sure you drink lots of water and natural juices and avoid alcoholic beverages, coffee and sodas. #BeatTheHeat #StayCoolChicago
- Cooling Tip! Check on seniors during the extreme heat! Chicago’s seniors can stay cool when they use @ChiFamSupport 21 Senior Centers located throughout Chicago during their regular hours of operation. Call 311 to find a Senior Center near you or visit https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/fss/provdrs/senior.html
- Cooling Tip! Avoid going outside in extreme heat! If you have to, make sure you wear loose, light, cotton clothing and limit your time in the sun during the hottest periods of the day; between 12 noon and 6pm. #BeatTheHeat #StayCoolChicago
- If you see someone suffering from heat stroke, take action immediately. Call 911, then try to move the person into a cool place and provide water. #StayCoolChicago #911
- Here’s a Pet Tip! During the extreme heat, remember to never leave anyone (including Pets) in a parked car, even for a few minutes! #BeatTheHeat #StayCoolChicago
- Cooling Tip! If you don’t have air conditioning, keep shades drawn and blinds closed, but windows slightly open. Also, keeping the electric lights off or turned down, along with minimizing the use of your oven and stove can help in keeping your house cool during the heat. #BeatTheHeat
- Check on relatives, neighbors and friends. If you are unable to make contact, call 3-1-1 and request a well-being check. #BeatTheHeat #StayCoolChicago
Extended hours at all six Department of Family and Support Services Cooling Centers: Thursday, July 18, 2019 and Friday, July 19, 2019 from 9am to 7pm.
- 10 S. Kedzie will be open on Saturday, July 20, 2019 from 9am to 5pm and is always open 24 hours to connect residents to shelter.
To learn the location of the closest available Cooling Center at any given time, call 3-1-1.
DFSS Cooling Centers
9 am - 5 pm Monday through Friday
1140 W. 79th Street
Chicago, IL 60621
10 S. Kedzie Ave.
Chicago, IL 60612
4314 S. Cottage Grove
Chicago, IL 60653
North Area Center
845 W. Wilson Ave.
Chicago, IL 60640
South Chicago Center
8650 S. Commercial Ave.
Chicago, IL 60617
Trina Davila Center
4312 W. North Ave.
Chicago, IL 60639
Tome suficiente agua y jugos naturales, evite las bebidas alcohólicas, el café y los refrescos carbonatados. #BeatTheHeat
Esté al tanto de sus familiares, vecinos y amigos. Si no puede comunicarse con ellos, llame al 311 y solicite una revisión de bienestar. #BeatTheHeat
People We Serve:
- Businesses & Professionals
- Health Professionals
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Social Service Providers
- People with Disabilities