This year, Chicago will ring in the New Year with a midnight fireworks display along the Chicago River and lakefront on New Year’s Eve. The free show will kick off at the stroke of midnight on December 31. The river and lakefront fireworks will be choreographed to music to create one stunning, synchronized show.
The Office of Emergency Management and Communications (OEMC) is urging pedestrians, motorists, spectators and residents to be aware of the traffic impacts with the closure of Franklin Street, Clark Street and Wabash bridges, as well as Wacker Drive from Lake Street to Stetson Avenue. Spectators and residents are also advised to be cognizant of their surroundings and report suspicious activity to 9-1-1.
Fireworks at the Chicago Riverfront
Bridges and barges feature cascade pyrotechnics and fireworks at midnight.
• Beginning at 7 p.m., sidewalks are closed on the west side of Franklin Street bridge, east side of Clark Street bridge and the east side of Wabash Avenue bridge.
• At 10 p.m., the Chicago Riverwalk is closed to pedestrians.
• Beginning at 11 p.m., expect complete closures of Franklin Street, Clark Street and Wabash Avenue bridges to both vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
• Also at 11 p.m., Wacker Drive will be closed from Lake Street to Stetson Avenue. Firework viewing will not be allowed from the closed street.
• Streets are expected to reopen to vehicular traffic at approximately 10 minutes after the fireworks display or when deemed safe to do so.
• Sidewalks are expected to reopen to pedestrian traffic at 1 a.m. or when safe to do so.
Increased security measures will be in place. No boats are allowed to transit within the USCG Safety Zone. Residential parking passes will be issued in the impacted area. OEMC encourages attendees to celebrate safely and be aware of surroundings. Those in the area are advised to report any suspicious activity to 9-1-1 or on-site security immediately.
For more information on the riverfront fireworks and other New Year’s Eve activities, check out the website at /www.choosechicago.com/events-and-shows/new-years-eve-guide/
Navy Pier Fireworks
The celebration at Navy Pier includes many festivities, with a special New Year’s Eve fireworks show over Lake Michigan Avenue, presented by Miller Lite. Crystal Gardens New Year’s Eve party is back for the 12th year and is the biggest New Year’s Eve party in Chicago. Security will wand and bag check patrons entering the pier. The Youth Escort Program will be in effect – guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Those taking public transportation can get Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) updates on changes in service through informational displays at rail stations and select bus stops; through social media (Twitter and Facebook), the CTA’s web site or customers can sign up for notices at www.transitchicago.com
For emergency alerts and traffic disruptions, subscribe to Notify Chicago at www.notifychicago.org
If You See Something, Say Something. Report suspicious activity to 9-1-1. Sign up for Smart911 at www.Smart911.com because every second counts!