Tips to Help Prevent Litter
- Set an example by not littering.
- Keep a litterbag in your car.
- Keep your yard clean and free of things that can blow into the street and become litter.
- When you visit a park or beach, remember to take out what you bring in. Keep trash and recyclables in a bag or backpack until you can put them in a litter basket.
- Talk to your family and friends about recycling to reduce the amount of litter you throw away.
- At home, make sure garbage and recycling bags are tied securely so that loose papers and other items can't fall out and become litter in your alley.
- Make sure you close the lid on your refuse containers after depositing your trash or recycling inside. This will prevent refuse from spilling into the alley or street.
- Do not overfill refuse containers. Exposed garbage will likely result in litter in the alley or street.
- Remove flyers or take-out menus promptly from your front door before they are blown into the neighborhood as litter.
Supporting Information Facts
- Streets and Sanitation
- Sanitation and Waste Reduction (Garbage, Street Sweeping, Recycling, and Zero Waste)