Community Development Grants
Thank you for your interest - the Community Development grant is now closed. We anticipate announcing awardees in fall 2023.
The City of Chicago is committed to strengthening local business corridors and enhancing neighborhood vitality.
The Chicago Recovery Plan provides additional opportunities for the City to invest in catalytic local development, expanding upon DPD’s existing investments and support.
DPD is now accepting applications for grant funding to support local commercial, mixed-use, and light manufacturing development. All are welcome to apply. City staff will prioritize projects in areas of Chicago where there is a history of disinvestment or limited private investment.
- Grant funding can be used for pre-development, construction, or renovation costs for permanent capital improvement projects.
- Open to community developers, business owners and entrepreneurs, and property owners. Site control is preferred, but not required.
- Residential-only development is not eligible, but mixed-use projects are eligible.
- Priority will be given to catalytic projects with a strong local impact, that are able to leverage local talents, capacities, and institutions to strengthen and contribute to the community.
- Applicants from all areas of Chicago are eligible to apply. Priority will be given for projects in historically disinvested areas as well as projects that build upon existing efforts, such as the City's INVEST South/West initiative and community safety initiatives.
- Priority will be given to projects that demonstrate momentum and are expected to break ground within six months of acceptance into this grant program.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. The application for 2023 is currently open, and the next deadline for consideration is August 18th, 2023.
Please do not submit duplicative applications for the same project.
Prepare to Apply
Applications will be segmented based on size of the grant. Grant requests should represent no more than 75 percent of anticipated total project cost.
- Para ver la solicitud en español haga clic aquí (a bajo de $250,000)
- Click here to view the application for grants up to $250,000 in Simplified Chinese
For advice and potential resources to help with your application, please go to the Community Development Grant Resources page.