Rules Concerning Demolition by Implosion
Rulemaking – Demolitions By Implosion
Following the demolition of the smokestack in Little Village owned by Hilco Development Partners, the City Council passed measures further regulating demolitions by implosion. The measures added a new Chapter 2-30 entitled “Multiagency Regulation of Implosions” and a new Section 15-4-311 providing for additional requirements for license to use explosives for demolition of buildings/structures. Among other things, the new sections required certain commissioners to propose rules regulating the use of explosives for the demolition of buildings or other structures.
Accordingly, pursuant to Chapter 2-30-030 of the Municipal Code of the City of Chicago, the following officials have proposed rules:
- The Commissioner of Buildings [English | Español]
- The Commissioner of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection [English | Español]
- The Fire Commissioner [English | Español]
- The Commissioner of Public Health [English | Español]
- The Commissioner of Transportation [English | Español]
- The Commissioner of Water Management [English | Español]
- The Executive Director of Emergency Management and Communications [English | Español]
These proposed rules were posted and made available for public comment. The comment period closed on February 18th, 2021. A public meeting was held on January 28, 2021. To view the slides from the presentation and transcript of the hearing, click on the links below.