The application for this program is now closed.
2023 CityArts Program Application
2023 CityArts Program Guideline Packet - English (PDF)
2023 CityArts Program Guideline Packet - Spanish (PDF)
Reminder: 2022 CityArts general operating grantees DO NOT need to re-apply to the 2023 CityArts program. These organizations are already eligible to renew their existing grant at the same level for 2023 and will receive further instructions by email. See "CityArts Grant Renewals" for details.
Join us for an info session to learn more about DCASE’s current grant programs for arts nonprofits.
Tuesday, February 21 | 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm | Register Online
View Webinar Recording from February 10, 2023
If you have questions and are not able to access these virtual meetings, if you need assistance in another language, or if you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to attend or apply please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
2023 CityArts Program Overview
The goal of DCASE’s CityArts Program is to encourage the attainment of artistic excellence and financial stability.
Nonprofit arts and culture organizations of all sizes can apply for general operating grants.
DCASE received an unprecedented increase to the Cultural Grants Program budget in 2022, allowing us to significantly increase general operating grant amounts. These increases will continue into 2023. In direct response to needs raised by the local community for larger, more flexible grants, general operating grants amounts are now significantly larger, and grants are renewable for one year.
CityArts Grant Amounts
General Operating grant amounts for selected grantees will be determined as outlined below, based on the organization’s average Annual Revenue over the past three years.
• Average Annual Revenue of $10,000: Grant amount will be approximately equal to the organization’s average annual revenue.
• Average Annual Revenue of $10,000 - $100,000: Grant amount will be up to $10,000.
• Average Annual Revenue of $100,000 - $500,000: Grant amount will be up to 10% of the organization’s average annual revenue and no more than $25,000.
• Average Annual Revenue of $500,000+: Grant amount will be up to 5% of the organization’s average annual revenue and no more than $50,000.
CityArts Grant Renewals
2023 CityArts general operating grants will be renewable for one year. Grantees will complete a contract addendum to receive an additional general operating grant in 2024 at the same award amount upon completion of their final report for 2023. Organizations not selected for funding in 2023 will have the opportunity to apply again in 2024.
2022 CityArts general operating grantees do not need to re-apply in 2023. These grantees will receive a contract addendum to receive an additional general operating grant in 2023 in conjunction with their 2022 final report.
To be eligible to apply for a CityArts grant, applicants must meet the following criteria.
• Have a primary mission to create, produce, present, provide, or support arts and culture activities or services for the public.
• Offer programs in an artistic discipline, operate as a museum, or serve as an arts service organization.
• Be a nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization incorporated in the state of Illinois for at least 12 months prior to applying (must have been incorporated as of January 2022).
• Be a resident company in the city of Chicago with a valid street address (P.O. Boxes will not be accepted).
• Primarily serve the residents of the city of Chicago (demonstrate that, on average, half of all programming occurs within the city of Chicago limits).
• Not have already received a CityArts general operating award in 2022, that is up for renewal in 2023.
• Not be receiving other significant support (cash or In Kind) from the City of Chicago or a City of Chicago Delegate Agency. Significant support is defined as more than $1M within the calendar year towards an organization’s annual budget.