The goal of DCASE’s CityArts Program is to encourage the attainment of artistic excellence and financial stability, and to incentivize innovation related to citywide priorities.
Nonprofit arts and culture organizations of all sizes and across all artistic disciplines can apply for general operating grants and project grants focused on rebuilding and recovery across all artistic disciplines. Project grants will support initiatives that have the potential to impact the Chicago arts sector at large.
The application deadline for the 2021 CityArts Program is March 3 at 5:00pm CST.
If you have questions and are not able to access these virtual meetings, if you need assistance in another language, and/or if you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to attend or apply please contact email@example.com for assistance.
DCASE Cultural Grants team is excited to offer this workshop for all 2021 CityArts applicants. Workshops will review updates to grant guidelines, review criteria and provide tips and guidance to help applicants prepare the strongest, most competitive application possible. Applicants are not required to attend a workshop to apply, however all applicants, regardless of having previously applied for or received a DCASE CityArts Grant, are encouraged to attend.
To be eligible to apply for a CityArts grant, applicants must meet the following criteria.
• Have a primary mission to create, produce, present, provide, or support arts and culture services for the public OR have an arts-focused division/department/program with its own budget.
• Offer programs in an artistic discipline, operate as a museum, or serve as an arts service organization.
• Be a nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization incorporated for at least 12 months prior to applying (must have been incorporated as of January 2020). General operating applicants must have been incorporated within the state of Illinois. National organizations with a Chicago branch are eligible to apply for project grants.
• Be a resident company in the city of Chicago with a valid street address (P.O. Boxes will not be accepted).
• Primarily serve the residents of the city of Chicago (demonstrate that, on average, half of all programming occurs within the city of Chicago limits).
• Organizations that received CityArts general operating support in 2018, 2019 and 2020 are required to take 2021 off from general operating support. Organizations that received funding in 2018, 2019 or 2020—but not all three—can reapply for 2021 CityArts general operating funding. Organizations can apply for a 2021 Project Grant even if they received CityArts support in 2018, 2019 and 2020.
• Special eligibility criteria for general operating grants only: Organizations must not be receiving other significant support (cash or In Kind) from the City of Chicago or a City of Chicago Delegate Agency. Significant support is defined as more than $1M within the calendar year towards an organization’s annual budget.
2021 Grant Calendar
and Guidelines become available
January 19, 2021
March 3, 2021
No Extensions will be Granted
Applications must be submitted at least one week before the deadline to avoid technical issues. Any technical issues reported within the week prior to the deadline might not be resolved in time for you to successfully submit your application.
Notification of Results
All applicants will be notified via e-mail sent to the address on file in the CyberGrants system.
Grant agreements and necessary attachments will be completed by grantees and processed by the cultural grants team.
Timeframe is subject to change. Please refer to this calendar for updates.