An official website of the City of Chicago

Public Engagement

In order to ensure the most beneficial implementation of recreational cannabis in Chicago, there are several formal channels for public engagement on the topic. Please don’t hesitate to use these methods of communication to make your voice heard.


    • For non-emergency complaints please contact 311. Complaints can be logged online or by calling 311.
    • In case of an emergency, please call 911.
    • Mayor Lightfoot’s cannabis zoning ordinance requires community meetings to be held before a cannabis business establishment’s[1] zoning application can be considered. These meetings are intended to explain the proposed establishment and solicit public comments on it. Proposed cannabis business establishments must also notify the local alderperson.
    • A list of scheduled community meetings (sorted by Cannabis Zone District)  can be found here.
    • On March 6, 2020, the Zoning Board of Appeals will have a cannabis-specific meeting to consider new adult-use cannabis dispensary proposals. More information on the meeting and proposed dispensary locations can be found in the meeting agenda and map of proposed dispensary locations.
    • For more information on community meetings for proposed cannabis business establishments please contact the Zoning Board of Appeals.
    • To find and contact your alderperson, use the Find Your Alderperson site

    [1] A cannabis business establishment includes craft growers, cultivation centers, dispensaries, infusers and processors.

  • Mayor Lightfoot’s cannabis zoning ordinance requires that all property owners within 250 feet of a proposed cannabis business establishment be notified of the proposal prior to its zoning application.
  • Registered voters in Chicago can petition their alderperson, through a City Clerk process, to introduce an ordinance establishing their precinct as a restricted cannabis zone. Restricted cannabis zones may prohibit home cultivation, one or more types of cannabis business establishments, or both. More information on the petition process can be found on the City Clerk’s website.