The Small Business Center offers in-person business licensing assistance.
The Small Business Center is currently experiencing longer than usual wait times between 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM daily.
Please plan your visit accordingly.
If you are applying for a business license, you will need to complete a Business Information Sheet for processing at the Small Business Center.
The Small Business Center licenses business in the City of Chicago. Your business activities determine the types of business licenses for which you are applying. Depending on your business activities, you may need more than one business license to operate your business in Chicago. Additionally, there are business activities regulated by the State of Illinois that may be exempt from City licensing.
Before Your Visit:
1. Business Consultants at the Small Business Center serve customers on a first-come first-served basis.
2. Upon arrival, you will receive a ticket with your place in line.
3. The SBC is currently experiencing longer than usual wait times between 11 AM and 3 PM daily.
How to Prepare for Your Visit:
1. If you are applying for a business license, complete a Business Information Sheet for processing at the Small Business Center.
2. Do not sign a lease or make any investments at your business premises before verifying with the City that your property is zoned properly. Visit Chicago.gov/BusinessLicensing under “Zoning Guide” for more information
Chicago Small Business Center
Hours of Operation:
For assistance by phone, call: