Request for Proposals
The City of Chicago is pleased to issue this Request for Proposals for the opportunity to apply for the sole casino license in Chicago. Through this RFP, the City is looking for an experienced company or joint venture to develop an integrated casino resort that compliments the City’s thriving entertainment and cultural scene. The selected applicant will propose its optimal site for the project, pending City approval, and will demonstrate excellence in casino design, development, sustainability, operations, financial stability, accommodation of multi-modal transportation needs and giving back to the community.
Chicago is one of the world’s most dynamic cities and tourist destinations and this license represents a once-in-a-generation opportunity to own and operate a casino in a major American city. Given the following, this RFP provides an immense market opportunity:
- With approximately 9.5 million residents, the Chicagoland region ranks 3rd in the U.S. in population.
- Chicago has an abundant labor supply and is a major tourist destination. In 2019, Chicago welcomed nearly 60 million domestic visitors, 1.5 million overseas visitors, and an additional 750,000 visitors from Mexico and Canada.
- Chicago’s local economy is the most diversified among the largest U.S. metropolitan areas in terms of employment, 14% is the largest portion of the workforce that any single industry employs in the City.
- Chicago is centrally located at the nexus between Europe and Asia and the North American Free Trade zone; Chicago’s O-Hare International Airport ranks #1 as the best-connected airport in the U.S. according to MIT’s Airport Connectivity Quality Index.
The City expects RFP respondents to submit proposals for an integrated casino resort with a hotel, restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues. The City also expects that the casino development will create living wage jobs with competitive benefits for Chicago residents, create opportunities for Chicago-based businesses, provide community amenities, and support tourism, including through partnerships with existing entertainment and cultural venues.
The Chicago opportunity includes:
- The development and operation of a permanent casino-anchored resort complex that enhances the urban fabric of its surrounding neighborhood;
- The development and operation of a temporary casino that provides gambling and ancillary functions while the permanent resort complex is designed and constructed; and
- An optional lease and license agreement to operate electronic gambling machines at the City’s O’Hare and Midway International Airports.
The City looks forward to finding an applicant who will propose a project that will represent the best of Chicago’s entertainment destinations, architecture and design, sustainability and resiliency, art and culture and public safety. To download the RFP and the RFP Supplement, please use the link below.