This page contains documents you may need to use or submit during the ADU intake process, before you submit a permit application to the Department of Buildings.
Neighbor and Aldermanic Notice
Before your ADU intake is approved, you will need to send a notice to the property owners immediately on either side of the property at which you are applying to add an ADU, as well as to the alderman of the ward.
- A sample letter can be downloaded here.
- Neighbor Notification Letter - en español
- The neighbor notification affidavit can be downloaded here.
- Neighbor Notification Affidavit - en español
- You can look up your alderman here.
If you are required to include affordable units because you are adding more than one ADU on your property, you will be required to record an affordability covenant on the property with the Cook County Clerk.
- A sample affordability covenant can be downloaded here.
- Instructions for recording the covenant can be found here.
- In addition, you will be required to submit an annual affidavit of affordable rents.
- A sample affidavit can be downloaded here.