Small Business Storefront Activations
The COVID-19 pandemic has left many small businesses experiencing financial hardship. Brick and mortar businesses that rely on foot traffic to drive sales were particularly harmed as commercial corridors across the city saw major reductions in economic activity. At the same time, operating costs for both established and new businesses have increased. As a result, small businesses in commercial corridors have yet to fully recover from the pandemic. This is evidenced by significant increases in commercial corridor vacancy rates across the city.
To support small businesses that have been impacted by the pandemic and ensure the strong recovery of commercial corridors, BACP is providing funding to local community and economic development organizations, such as chambers of commerce, community development corporations, and other not-for-profit organizations, to support small businesses in activating vacant storefronts across the city.
Participants in the Small Business Storefront Activation Program, known as “grantees”, will work with small business owners, artists, and landlords to provide rapid relief to small businesses by designing and implementing vacant storefront activations on commercial corridors:
As of October 5th, 2022, Small Business Storefront Activation Program grantees have been selected:
- 18th Street Development Corp
- Austin Chamber of Commerce
- Chicago Loop Alliance
- East Edgewater Chamber of Commerce
- Far South Community Development Corporation
- Greater Chatham Initiative
- Greater Englewood Chamber Foundation
- Greater Southwest Development Corp
- Lakeview Roscoe Village Chamber of Commerce
- Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce
- Magnificent Mile Association
- North River Commission
- Northwest Side CDC
- Puerto Rican Cultural Center
- Rogers Park Business Alliance
- South Shore Chamber Community Development Corporation
- Southeast Chicago Chamber
Storefronts are now active ! View Storefront Activations Locations and Hours
List of Small Business Storefront Activations Grantees
Questions may be emailed to: BACPEconomicRecovery@cityofchicago.org.
18th Street Development Corporation
- Inaugural event November 26th
- Pilsen Pop-Up Shopo
- Cermak Pop-Up Shop, 1835 W Cermak Rd
- 18th Street Pop-Up Shop, 1412 W 18th St
- All locations open Thursday to Sunday from 2 pm - 9 pm
- Ward 25
Austin Chamber of Commerce
- The Community Room, 4944 W. Chicago Ave.
- 5812 W. Chicago Ave.
- Wards 29 & 37
Chicago Loop Alliance
- State Street Holiday Market, 35 S. State St.
- Open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 11 a.m.–6 p.m ▪
- LaSalle Aglow, 2 -231 S. LaSalle St.
- Ward 42
Edgewater Chamber of Commerce
- Winter Bryn Mawrkets, 1040 W. Bryn Mawr Ave. & 1052 W. Bryn Mawr Ave.
- Open Fridays from 3 –7 pm and Saturday and Sundays from 1 –5 pm; Starting the weekend of November 18 through February 12, 2023
- Ward 48
Far South Community Development Corporation
- Pop-Ups at 845 -847 W. 115th St.
- Open Daily 12 –6 p.m.o
- Ward 34
Greater Chatham Initiative
- Grant opening on November 26th
- Holiday Pop-Up on the 9, 735 -737 E. 79th St.
- Open Tuesday -Saturday, 12 -7 p.m. through February 15th, 2023
- Ward 6
Greater Englewood Chamber of Commerce
- Trolley Tour in Partnership with Southeast Chicago Chamber and South Shore Chamber of Commerce on November 26th
- Englewood Marketplace, 1122 W 63rd St
- Open Saturday, November 26th from 12 –4 p.m.
- December 2nd, 3rd, and 4th from 10 a.m. -4 p.m.
- December 16th, 17th, and 18th from 10 a.m. -4 p.m.
- December 23rd from 10 a.m. -4 p.m.
- December 24th 9 a.m. -Noon (Exact times TBD)
- Ward 16
Greater Southwest Development Corporation
Lakeview Roscoe Village Chamber of Commerce
- Roscoe Village Art Activations, 1931 W. Belmont Ave. & 2159 W. Belmont Ave.
- On display through March 31st, 2023
- Ward 32
Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce
- Halsted Street Window Activations, between 2042 –2150 N. Halsted St.
- Ward 43
Magnificent Mile Association
- Pop-Up at Kavi Gupta Gallery, 535 N. Michigan Ave.
- Open 10 a.m. -6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, April 15, 2023
- Ward 42
North River Commission
- Pop-Up Local Artisan Market, 4730 N. Kimball Ave.
- Ms. Ella's Healing Kitchen, 4718 N. Kedzie Ave.
- Both locations open Thursday - Sunday, 11 a.m. - 10 p.m. through February 15th, 2023.
- Ward 33
Northwest Side Community Development Corporation
- Crecer Business Incubator, 3150 N. Central Ave.
- Diversey Naturals and Organics, 5212 W. Diversey Ave.
- Both locations open Wed-Sat 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Belmont Dragon Art Activation near Belmont and Central (location TBA)
- Ward 31
Puerto Rican Cultural Center
- Arturo Schomburg Afro Boricua Immersion (ASABI) Center, 2536 W. Division St.
- Pop-Up Space, 2538 W. Division St.
- Puerto Rico Town Performing Arts Hall, 3411 W. North Ave.
- Art activations on Division St. and North Ave.
- Ward 26
Rogers Park Business Alliance
- Launch of Live Love Shop Rogers Park rebate program on November 26th
- Opening Reception/ Open House December 3rd
- Howard Street Makers Studio, 1609 W. Howard St.
- Howard Street Makers Studio Art, 1531, 1609, & 1631 W. Howard St.
- Ward 49
South Shore Chamber of Commerce
- Trolley Tour in Partnership with Greater Englewood Chamber of Commerce and Southeast Chicago Chamber of Commerce on November 26th
- Connect South Shore Kids Activity Corner, 1900-1902 E. 71st St.
- Connect South Shore Art Gallery, 1904 E. 71st St.
- Connect South Shore Vendors Market, 1908-1910 E. 71st St.
- All three locations open Thursday to Sunday, 11:00 a.m. -7 p.m.
- 71st Street Art Activations on 71 St between 1721 –1908 E. 71stSt.
- Ward 5
Southeast Chicago Chamber of Commerce
- Trolley Tour in Partnership with Greater Englewood Chamber of Commerce and South Shore Chamber of Commerce on November 26th
- Opening Reception/Open House on December 3rd Englewood Arts Collective, 1827 E. 79th St.▪
- Open Wednesday -Sunday 11 a.m. -5 p.m.
- Art activations, 1652, 1756, & 1825 E. 79th St.
- Ward: 8