11th Ward Alderman Selection Process
In light of recent events, Mayor Lightfoot is reaching out directly to 11th ward residents to express her commitment to finding a qualified candidate to become your next Alderperson. This person must be a valued, public servant who has demonstrated their commitment to service, has lived in the 11th ward for at least one year prior to their appointment, and importantly, is someone who can passionately advocate on behalf of your community. Above all else, the City is committed to an open and transparent selection process.
In order to be eligible, applicants must fulfill the below requirements:
- Applicant must have lived in the 11th ward for at least one year prior to their appointment
- Applicant must be a valued, public servant who has demonstrated their commitment to service
- Applicant must be able to passionately advocate on behalf of 11th ward residents
As has been done in years prior for open Aldermanic seats, the appointment must be made within 60 days following the process outlined below:
- The window to submit applications closed on March 11th.
- The resumes of those who submitted complete applications can be found here.
- Mayor Lightfoot has appointed three committee members and a chair, including 11th Ward residents, to form a search committee to review applications, interview candidates, and make a recommendation to the Mayor on the final slate of candidates.
- A final candidate will be selected by Mayor Lightfoot with the goal of being sworn in at the March City Council meeting. Once confirmed, the appointed Alderman will remain in place until the next aldermanic election in 2023.
The selection committee is made up of dedicated public servants and 11th ward residents.
Those members are:
- Alderman Michelle Harris, Chairwoman of the Committee on Committees and Rules
- Salvador Cicero, Principal, The Cicero Law Group, P.C.
- Grace Chan McKibben, Executive Director, The Coalition For A Better Chinese Community
- Jamie Trecker, Producer/Co-Host, Lumpen Radio
The City received 27 complete applications for 11th ward Alderman. The name of each applicant can be found below:
- Abraham Matthew
- Anthony G. Ciaravino
- Anthony Regalado
- Bobby Martinez Olson
- Carol F. Zigulich
- Chi Hang Jonathon Tam
- Chris Kanich
- Christopher Javier
- Denise E. McBroom
- Donald Don
- Elvira "Vida" Jimenez
- Francisco Rodriguez
- Greg Shields
- Iesha Walker
- Jack Pan
- James J. Brinkley
- Jeffrey Sadowski
- Joe Azim
- John J. Tominello
- Maria D. Acosta
- Michael M. Cashman
- Michael Ulreich
- Nicole T. Lee
- Meanith Huan
- Patrick J. Murray
- Vincent F. Palmeri
- Wade Chan
The window to submit applications closed on March 11th. The resumes of those who submitted complete applications can be found here. The selection committee is reviewing applications and will submit a final slate of candidates for Mayor Lightfoot to choose from.
The deadline to submit was March 11th
You are eligible to apply for the position if you:
- have lived in the 11th ward for at least one year prior to their appointment
- have demonstrated your passion for service
- are able to passionately advocate on behalf of 11th ward residents
As has been done in years prior for open Aldermanic seats, this selection, by law, must be completed within 60 days of the vacancy. The deadline for this process, therefore, is April 15th, 2022.
The selected candidate will serve until the next regularly scheduled Aldermanic election in 2023. The candidate may choose to run for the position at that time.
Please direct any additional questions to AldermanicVacancy@cityofchicago.org