The Police Board's primary powers and responsibilities are set forth in the Municipal Code of Chicago, and include the following:
- Deciding disciplinary cases when the Superintendent of Police files charges to discharge a sworn officer from the Chicago Police Department.
- Ruling on disagreements between the Chief Administrator of the Civilian Office of Police Accountability and the Superintendent of Police regarding the discipline of an officer.
- Holding monthly public meetings that provide an opportunity for all members of the public to present questions and comments to the Board, the Superintendent of Police, and the Chief Administrator of the Civilian Office of Police Accountability.
- Deciding appeals by applicants to become a Chicago police officer who have been disqualified due to the results of a background examination.
- Adopting the Rules and Regulations for the governance of the Police Department.