24th Ward Alderman Selection Process
Mayor Lightfoot is reaching out directly to 24th ward residents to express her commitment to finding a qualified candidate to become your next Alderperson. This person must be a valued, public servant who has demonstrated their commitment to service, has lived in the 24th ward for at least one year prior to their appointment, and importantly, is someone who can passionately advocate on behalf of your community. Above all else, the City is committed to an open and transparent selection process.
In order to be eligible, applicants must fulfill the below requirements:
- Applicant must have lived in the 24th ward for at least one year
- Applicant must be a valued, public servant who has demonstrated their commitment to service
- Applicant must be able to passionately advocate on behalf of 24th ward residents
The selection committee is made up of dedicated public servants and 24th ward residents.
Those members are:
- Alderman Michelle Harris, Ex-Officio Chair, Chairman of the Committee on Committees and Rules
- Brenda Palms Barber, President and CEO of North Lawndale Employment Network
- Sheila McNary, President and CEO of Advanced Care Services, Inc
- Marcus Betts, Assistant Vice Chancellor for External Engagement at UIC
As has been done in years prior for open Aldermanic seats, the appointment must be made within 60 days following the process outlined below:
- The window to submit applications closed on June 7th.
- The resumes of those who submitted complete applications can be found here.
- Mayor Lightfoot has appointed three committee members and a chair, including 24th Ward residents, to form a search committee to review applications, interview candidates, and make a recommendation to the Mayor on the final slate of candidates.
- Once confirmed, the appointed Alderman will remain in place until the next aldermanic election in 2023.
The City received 19 applications for 24th ward Alderman. The name of each applicant can be found below:
- Charles Rice
- Creative Scott
- Christopher Griffin
- Deyki Nichols
- Drewone Goldsmith
- Edward Ward
- Larry Nelson
- Matthew Jackson
- Mia Bridges
- Monique Scott
- Patricia Davis
- Roger Washington
- Sondra Spellman
- Steve Robinson
- Trina Mangrum
- Vetress Boyce
- Wallace Johnson
- Jose De Hernan
- Marvin Sykes
For more information about the selection process, please email: AldermanicVacancy@cityofchicago.org
The window to submit applications closed on June 7th. The resumes of those who submitted complete applications can be found here. The selection committee is reviewing applications and will submit a final slate of candidates for Mayor Lightfoot to choose from.
The deadline to submit was June 7th
You are eligible to apply for the position if you:
- have lived in the 24th ward for at least one year
- have demonstrated your passion for service
- are able to passionately advocate on behalf of 24th ward residents
By law, the appointment must take place within 60 days of the vacancy. The deadline for this process, therefore, is July 23rd, 2022.
The selected candidate will serve until the next regularly scheduled Aldermanic election in 2023. The candidate may choose to run for the position at that time.
Please direct any additional questions to email@example.com