Call Center Operations Unit

311 is an easy-to-remember number to put callers in touch with the vast array of programs and services the City of Chicago has to offer.  The 311 operation is available to report service needs, check the status of previous service requests, obtain information regarding City programs or events, and file non-emergency police reports via the Chicago Police Department's Alternate Response Section (ARS).

Last year the 311 Call Center received approximately 2.8 million calls!  The Call Center operators have received extensive training and are prepared to treat every caller as a valued customer.  The operators also have access to a language bank to request the assistance of translators, who provide translation for more than 100 languages, if needed.

A call to 311 triggers a series of events.  If the caller needs information, a few keystrokes will give the 311 operator access to a database with City information.  if the caller requests a City service, intake screens guide the 311 Operator to ask for, and enter, the necessary information.  If the caller wants to file a non-emergency police report, the operator will connect the caller to the Chicago Police Department's ARS for assistance.

The 311 Customer Service Request (CSR) System technology includes an Intake Form used to create a service request, assign a tracking number, prompt a checklist of steps to resolve the problem, generate work orders, and any necessary correspondence. The CSR System distributes the work orders to the appropriate governmental and non-governmental agencies.

Call 311 if you want to...

  • Find services and programs within the City of Chicago, or to find the appropriate department or agency to direct your questions and/or concerns.
  • Request numerous City Services. Some of these services include, but are not limited to request garbage carts, report stray animals, report abandoned vehicles and more.
  • Request information about City and neighborhood events, including parades, Grant and Millennium Parks festivals, and Chicago Public Library programs. Also visit more to find more exciting activities happening everyday around Chicago.
  • Find out what Police District and beat you live in, as well as the date, time and location of your next beat meeting.
  • File a non-emergency police report or talk to police personnel in your district. Remember, dial 311 if the incident that you are reporting has occurred and the offender is gone from the scene; however, dial 911 if the incident you are reporting is in progress and the presence of a police officer will help resolve the matter.
  • Find your Ward and your Alderman so you can forward any questions and/or concerns directly.
  • Request shelter services.
  • Request assistance and information about homelessness prevention and "Short-term Help" through the Homelessness Prevention Call Center. 

And more...



I Want To