Top Five FAQs

Central Hearings Facility picture

1.     I missed my hearing; how do I file a motion to set-aside the default (MTSAD)? Can I reschedule over the telephone? How much does it cost?

     A: If you missed your hearing for good cause, you must file a motion to set-aside the default in-person at the Central Hearing facility, 400 West Superior St., Information Desk, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. You cannot file a motion to set-aside the default over the telephone nor can it be faxed or mailed to you. Currently, there is no fee for filing a motion to set-aside default. If the hearing you missed involved a parking, compliance or red light ticket, you can file a motion to set-aside the default at any of the City’s three hearing locations.


2.     I received a collection notice from the Department of Finance or a law firm. I do not know what this is about. What can I do?

      A: You may contact the telephone number indicated on the notice for further information. If the collection notice was sent as a result of a Department of Administrative Hearings matter, you may file a Freedom of Information (FOIA) request at 740 North Sedgwick, 2nd floor to obtain copies of the court file. Depending on the status of the case as indicated in the court file, you may be able to request a motion to set-aside the default. At that time, when you appear in court, the City representative will explain the ticket to you and show you any photos that were taken.


3.     Can I pay for this ticket instead of attending the hearing? If so, how long do I have to pay for it?

      A: Pre-payable citations are listed on the back portion of your ticket.  If your ticket is pre-pay eligible, you may pay the fine indicated instead of attending the hearing within seven (7) days of the date the violation was issued. If your violation is not listed on the back then you must appear for your hearing on the day and time indicated. If you are found liable, the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) will determine the fine amount which varies by violation. The fine is set by City ordinance.


4.     I lost my ticket.  Who can I contact in order to find out the date and time of my hearing?

    A: You can call the Administrative Hearings general information line at 312.742.4747. For faster service, please have the following available when you call: docket or ticket number, name, address of violation. If this is a parking, compliance or red light hearing, please call the City of Chicago ticket helpline at 312.744.PARK (7275) for assistance.


5.     I received a notice of impoundment for a vehicle I never owned, or for a vehicle that I sold, donated or traded-in before the impoundment. What can I do to address this matter?

    A: If you received a notice of impoundment on a vehicle you never owned, or for a vehicle that you donated,  previously owned or sold prior to the impoundment you may contact the Department of Law at 312.742.8421. In addition, you should forward any proof of the vehicle transactions to fax number 312.742.8420. Satisfactory proof could include a charitable receipt, trade-in form from an auto dealership, bill of sale, letter between two parties indicating a curb-side sale, copy of a signed title between parties, or any Secretary of State documentation such as a revoked/transferred title, vehicle registration number or license plate.

Supporting Information Facts