Adopt a Pet
Thank you for your interest in adopting from Chicago Animal Care and Control!
See pics and videos of our animals:
- Visit Petharbor.com/Chicago for the most up-to-date list of animals in the shelter
- For more photos, videos, and bios see CACC Adoptable Pets, CACC Dog Transfer Team, or CACC Cats on Facebook.
Next, come and see us!
- Fill out our adoption questionnaire here to save time: https://bit.ly/CACC_Adoption_Form
- Visit the shelter any day between 12 p.m. – 7 p.m. No appointment necessary! (If you plan to adopt that day, please arrive by 5:30 p.m.)
- If you have any questions, please email Visitcacc@cityofchicago.org or call 312-747-1406. A representative from CACC will contact you within 48 hours.
- The adoption fee for all dogs and cats is $65.
- You must be 18 years or older & have a valid government-issued photo ID
- Please note: We prefer to meet all family members on adoption day and if you have another dog at home, we encourage you to do a meet and greet with your dog. If you are planning a meet and greet with your current dog, you should make an appointment by emailing email@example.com
Additionally, CACC is not able to perform meet and greets between dogs and cats at our facility.
When you arrive...
- Sign in with your photo ID at the security desk then check in with the front desk for a questionnaire
- We’ll quickly review your questionnaire and then you’ll be invited to meet our animals
If You Meet the Pet for You...
- You will review some paperwork and pet care resources with one of our staff or volunteers, including a contract for you to sign. Our contract requires you to take your new pet to see your veterinarian within 14 days of the adoption.
- If your animals is ready for same-day adoption, a staff member will bring them to the lobby
- If your dog or cat is not yet altered, we will call you when they are ready to go home (usually just a day or two)
- An ID tag will be made for your pet. Your new pet will get a collar (and a leash for dogs)
- CACC may take adoption photos to be used in social media and marketing materials
If You Don’t Meet the Right Pet...
- See all adoptable pets (updated hourly) at petharbor.com/Chicago , visit the Adoptable Pet Facebook page, or the CACC Cats Facebook page.
- Some pets are not available for direct adoption. They may be on a stray hold or have medical or behavioral issue that will be addressed in a foster home. These animals are transferred to our transfer partners and can be fostered/adopted from them. List of Rescue Partners
Adopting a pet is an important commitment for the rest of your pet's life. Please consider this decision carefully.