Tips on Caring for your Cat
An Inside Cat is a Safe Cat!
If you want your cat to live a long and healthy life, keep him/her inside. If you allow your cat to wander around on their own, without your supervision, they are susceptible to any of the following tragedies:
- Becoming hit by a car.
- Ingesting a deadly poison like antifreeze or a pesticide.
- Becoming trapped by an unhappy neighbor.
- Being attacked by roaming dog, cat or wild animal.
- Contracting a disease from another animal.
- Becoming lost and unable to find their way home.
- Being stolen.
- Encountering an adult or child with cruel intentions.
Average life span of a free-roaming cat -- less than 3 years.
Average life span of an indoor only cat -- 12-15 years.
15 Reasons to Keep your Cat Indoors:
- Indoor cats are less likely to be hit by a car when crossing the living room than when crossing the street.
- Indoor cats and their owners are less apt to have fleas, fungus, or rabies.
- Indoor cats are less likely to be exposed to stray cats who can transmit all sorts of diseases such as feline leukemia (Fel V), feline infectious peritonitis (FIP), feline AIDS, and may others.
- Indoor cats are less likely to bite their owners.
- There is less chance of getting caught in a steel-jaw or leghold trap for an indoor cat.
- When it's ten o'clock at night, thier owners will always know where they are.
- Birds and neighbors will like them better.
- Indoor cats will never come home looking like something the cat dragged in.
- It will be more difficult for people to steal an indoor cat.
- They will not get shot at as often.
- They will not disappear as often.
- Their owners will never have to bail them out of the local pound.
- Their owners will not have to go calling all over the neighborhood for them when it's time for dinner.
- Their owners will not find as many dad, dying or dismembered small animals on the doorstep.
- Indoor cats and their owners will live longer, happier lives!
Helpful advice: Keep your kitten indoors - he/she won't miss the outdoors if they've never been outside. Your kitten will grow up to be a cat who does not scratch at the door at all hours of the day and night to be let outside.