Dog Friendly Area (DFA) Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Question: What is the permit and tag fee?

    Answer: The permit and tag fee is a total of $5.00


  2. Question: How long is a permit and tag good for?

    Answer: Any permit and registration tag will be valid only for a single season no matter when purchased. A single season is defined as the period running from January 1st of any year through December 31st of the same year.


  3. Question: Will there be a sliding scale for seniors or visitors?

    Answer: There will not be a sliding scale. Visitors must follow the same procedures for obtaining a permit and tag.


  4. Question: Where can I get a permit and tag?

    Answer: Permits and tags will only be available at participating Chicagoland veterinary offices. If you are an out-of-state resident you must also contact one of the participating Chicagoland veterinary offices to determine what paperwork is necessary to obtain the permit and tag. Most of these veterinarians will help those whose own vets are not participating. You should call them first to confirm that they will assist you and to determine how much they charge for an office visit.


  5. Question: When can I get a permit and tag?

    Answer: Permits and tags will be available at participating Chicago veterinary offices beginning February 1st, 2006.


  6. Question: Will there be visitor or day passes?

    Answer: There are no visitor or day passes. Any visitor wishing to bring their pet to a Chicago Park District Dog Friendly Area must follow the same procedures for obtaining a permit and tag.


  7. Question: What are the permit requirements?

    Answer: Pursuant to regulations under the new Cook County Ordinance, dog owners must show proof of:

    a. Current dog license issued by the City of Chicago, or proof that the dog has a current rabies vaccination.

    b. Examination within the past year for any communicable diseases including an examination of a stool specimen for internal parasites.

    c. Current vaccination or titer if possible for Distemper, Hepatitis, Para-influenza, Parvovirus, and Bordatella (kennel cough) unless an exemption to this requirement has been granted by the Administrator upon the written recommendation from the Owner's veterinarian.

  8. Question: Who will enforce the rules and regulations?

    Answer: The Cook County Department of Animal and Rabies Control will enforce DFA rules and regulations and issue tickets to violators.

    Violators, along with the Chicago Park District, will face a possible fine of $500. Dog owners must carry their permits at all times when attending DFAs. Each DFA will have a sign posted at the entrance stating all DFA rules and regulations.


  9. Question: What happens if I lose my permit or tag?

    Answer: If a patron loses their dog tag or permit, they must reapply for a permit and tag for a $5.00 fee with a participating Chicagoland veterinarian.


  10. Question: Why do I need a permit and tag for my dog to enter a DFA?

    Answer: Pursuant to a regulation issued by the Administrator of the Cook County Department of Animal and Rabies Control, all dogs entering a DFA must have a permit and registration tag from a licensed veterinarian. People bring dogs into a Chicago Park District DFA must have both a permit with them and a registration tag for each dog. The registration tag must be on the dog’s collar or harness. The permit and registration tag may be used at any officially sanctioned Chicago Park District DFA.

Supporting Information Facts

People We Serve: