CDOT Announces Remainder of Fall Bridge Lift Schedule
The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) announced that bridge lifts will take place on Saturday, October 28 to allow sailboats and other recreational boats to make their annual trip from Lake Michigan to winter storage facilities. Going forward, bridge lifts will take place on Wednesdays and Saturdays through November 15.
Beginning at 9:00 a.m., a total of 27 bridges will be lifted in succession from DuSable Lake Shore Drive to the Ashland Avenue Bridge on the South Branch of the Chicago River. During these “boat runs,” the bridges are raised sequentially for approximately 8-12 minutes each. While the bridge is in the upright position, traffic is halted. Drivers may use alternate streets or wait until the bridge is lowered.
The Fall 2023 schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, October 28 at 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 1 at 9:30 a.m.
- Saturday, November 4 at 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 8 at 9:30 a.m.
- Saturday, November 11 at 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 15 at 9:30 a.m.