South Shore Drive & 79th Street Intersection Improvements to Begin September 26th
A Key Part of the US 41 Relocation Project
Starting on September 26th, construction crews will start work on the reconstruction of South Shore Drive between 79th Street and Cheltenham Place.
The reconstruction is being performed to connect South Shore Drive into the new US 41 roadway. The current alignment will shift slightly to the east and will connect with the new US 41 south of 79th Street which is currently being constructed.
The project consists of the reconstruction of the roadway and intersection, including new curb and gutter, pavement, sidewalk, sewers, catch basins, street lighting and traffic signals and parkway trees.
Construction is expected to continue through November. It is expected that the construction crews will work from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Saturday.
- South Shore Drive, between 79th and Cheltenham, will be closed for approximately six weeks. 79th Street will remain open.
- Access to driveways between 79th Street and Cheltenham Place will be maintained.
- A detour of South Shore Drive will be in place during the closure. Vehicles will be rerouted to use 79th Street and Yates Avenue.
- Access to the Park District facilities will be maintained
- CTA buses will use 76th Street, Coles Avenue and 79th Street as a detour.