File a Fire FOIA Request
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a state law that provides citizens with access to public records. Each City department is a separate agency responsible for maintaining its own records, so requests should be submitted to the department that maintains the records you want.
All Freedom of Information requests submitted to City of Chicago departments must include the following information:
- The name, mailing address and contact information of the requester;
- A description of the records that are being requested.
The Chicago Fire Department (CFD) maintains the following categories of records:
- Commercial and Institutional Building Inspection Reports
- Hazardous Material Records
- Code violation reports e.g., commercial/institutional locations, pump, sprinkler tests and fire alarms
- Fire and investigative reports on closed and/or inactive cases
- Employee lists
Please provide specific information in your request:
- Exact location
- Date of fire incident
- How you would like the information sent (via email, fax or mail)
For Fire FOIA requests, write to:
Mail: Freedom of Information Officer
Chicago Fire Department
3510 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60653
Please note that all FOIA requests are posted online. FOIA requests are public information, and when you submit a FOIA request, your name and information about the request will be made available on the City’s website.