The Logan Square Landmarks District will be expanded to include the former Episcopal Church of the Advent and adjacent parish house through a plan approved today by City Council.
The Gothic Revival-style church and the Tudor Revival-style parish house at 2900 W. Logan Blvd. were built in 1927 and 1906, respectively. The church features neighborhood-scale ecclesiastical architecture with arched doors and windows, buttresses, towers, stained glass windows, and ornamental tracery. The parish house, which is characterized by wood and plaster gables and rusticated masonry, was originally used as the church prior to the larger building’s construction.
Both structures were designed by the prominent Chicago architect Elmer C. Jensen, who was a founding member of the congregation and a partner in the firm of Jenney, Mundie, and Jensen. The firm was responsible for designing nearly 30 skyscrapers in Chicago between 1885 and 1939.
The expansion was recommended by the Commission on Chicago Landmarks in November 2017. The district was originally designated in 2004.
The structures are being rehabilitated as market-rate apartments by JAB Real Estate, which acquired them in 2016. The designation would protect their exterior elevations and rooflines from significant alteration.
# # #