A pair of Lake View houses that date to the community’s early development were approved as official City of Chicago landmarks by City Council today.
Daniel O. Hill House, 448 W. Barry Ave.
Completed in 1902 for silk merchant Daniel O. Hill, the American Four Square-style mansion is typical of the single-family homes that dominated the North Side lakefront at the turn of the last century. The two-and-a-half-story building features Roman brick with Prairie-style proportions and Classical-style stone ornament designed by architect Frederick W. Perkins, who was known for high-style mansions for wealthy businessmen throughout the Midwest. More recently, the building served as the Serbian American Museum St. Sava.
Charles M. Netterstrom House, 833 W. Aldine Ave.
Completed in phases in the 1870s and 1890s by immigrant Charles Magnus Netterstrom, the Italianate and Queen Anne-style building represents the historic significance of Swedish citizens to Lake View’s growth in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The three-story structure’s varied architectural details include pressed metal cornices and pediments, a corner tower, a gable front, and brick window hoods with cast keystones. While living in the home, Netterstrom established himself as an important community leader, businessman and builder, later becoming a county commissioner and state senator.
Both properties received final recommendations for Landmark designation by the Commission on Chicago Landmarks in February 2018.. The designations will protect all building elevations, including rooflines, from significant alteration or demolition.
# # #