St. Peter’s Episcopal Church and adjoining parish house in Lake View were approved as official City of Chicago landmarks by City Council today.
The Gothic Revival style buildings at 615-23 W. Belmont Ave. form a visually-cohesive church complex complemented by similar materials and details.
Completed in 1895, the Bedford limestone-clad church was designed by architect William A. Otis with arched windows and doors, buttresses, a corner tower and stained-glass windows that were inspired by 16th century design themes. The handsomely crafted parish house was completed approximately thirty years later by architect William A. Otis with an arched doorway, stone molding, leaded glass windows, and masonry details.
Both buildings possess a strong connection to the growth of the Lake View community in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The buildings continue to be used for ecclesiastical services, community meetings, activities and socialization.
# # #