|Designation: 2019 Expiration: 2043
The Roosevelt/Clark TIF encompasses 135 acres of largely vacant land generally bounded by Harrison St. to the north, the Chicago River to the west, Clark St. to the east and Archer Ave, to the south in the Near South Side community. Railroads operating in Chicago in the 1850s established passenger stations and freight yards at the southern edge of what is now the South Loop. A neighborhood fire in 1874 destroyed most of the remaining residential buildings at that time. Around 1900, railroad tracks filled the area from State Street to Clinton Street, serving freight depots and passenger stations as Chicago became the nation's printing center in and around Dearborn Station. The decline of the passenger train industry left the rail yards vacant. The purpose of the district is to help finance public infrastructure improvements that will allow for the formerly vacant land to be redeveloped into a mix of office, commercial, residential, and public open space.