The following information is intended to facilitate the reporting of claims presented to the City of Chicago. Users have several options to submit a Claim.

Visit Office of the City Clerk

For motor vehicle/property damage small claims under $2,500.00, you must submit your claim with the Office of the City Clerk. There is currently no online process for small claims under $2,500. Paper applications must be filed with the Chicago Clerk's Office. These forms are available using the link above.

Office of the City Clerk
Attention: Claims
121 N. LaSalle Street, Room 107
Chicago, Illinois 60602-1295

You may contact the Committee on Finance at 312-744-8861 to follow up on the status of your claim.

Submit an Online Claim (For all Bodily Injury Claims and/or Property Damage Claims over $2,500.00)

If you opt to submit your claim online, you'll be directed to our trusted third-party claim administration service, Cannon Cochran Management Services, Inc. (CCMSI), to finalize your online submission.

Submitting your claim online ensures prompt processing and provides you with a unique reference number. There's no need to send a paper copy.

Regardless of whether you report your claim online, via email, mail, fax, or in person, the required claim form and requested information remain the same.

The types of claims that are accepted are:

  1. Motor vehicle accidents involving personal injury or property damage, such as motor vehicle damage from road conditions. Download form here.
  2. Property damage/personal injury - general liability claims involving property damage(non motor vehicle accidents only), such as house or fence damage. Download form here.
  3. Bodily injury/personal injury - general liability claims involving bodily injury/personal injury, such as from a fall on public property. Download form here.
  4. Bicycle/personal injury - general liability claims involving bodily injury/personal injury or property damage on public property. Download form here.

Print the appropriate claim form and complete manually, submit by email, mailfacsimile or in person to the following:

Chicago Claims Unit
2 N. La Salle St., Suite 350
Chicago, IL  60602
312.744.5650 Voice
312.744.5449 Fax

Claims may be filed by completing the claim form and submitting the form and documentation online, email, mail, facsimile or in person.

The City Claims Unit processes property damage and bodily injury/personal injury claims involving the City of Chicago.

The City Claims Unit does not process claims for Workers Compensation or excessive water bills, or claims involving the following entities:

  • Chicago Transit Authority (CTA),
  • Chicago Park District,
  • Chicago Board of Education,
  • Metropolitan Water Reclamation District,
  • Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority,
  • Chicago Public Building Commission,
  • Cook County and
  • State of Illinois (IDOT).

For a property damage claim you should submit two written itemized estimates attached on company letterhead or an itemized paid invoice with proof of payment.

In addition, you should provide any document that you believe supports your claim. Depending on the nature of your claim, certain types of documents are essential; for instance, a police/Illinois Traffic Crash report, photographs, video, witness statements or medical records.

The Statute of Limitations is prescribed by 745 ILCS 10/8-101.

Any additional Claimant information can be presented in the “Additional Comments” section of the claim form.

Yes. The general number to the City Claims Unit is 312.744.5650. Business hours are Monday thru Friday from 8 am to 5 pm. Throughout the claims process you may call or email the assigned claims file handler for a status update.

Section 1-109 of the Code of Civil Procedure provides language that may be used an alternative to a sworn statement under oath before a notary public. Click 735 ILCS 5/1-109 to read the statue in its entirety.