Statements of Financial Interests - Definitions
The following terms on the Statement form are marked with an asterisk because they have specially defined meanings:
1. City Contractor* means any person (including his agents or employees acting within the scope of their employment) who is paid from the City treasury or pursuant to City ordinance, for services to any City agency, regardless of the nature of the relationship of such individual to the City for purposes other than this chapter. A "city contractor" shall not include officials and employees.
2. Doing Business* means any one or any combination of sales, purchases, leases, or contracts to, from, or with the City or any City agency in an amount in excess of $10,000 in any twelve consecutive months.
3. Domestic Partner* means a "qualified domestic partner" as defined in section 2-152-072 of the Municipal Code of Chicago.
4. Financial Interest* means an interest held by an official or employee that is valued or capable of valuation in monetary terms with a current value of more than $1,000.00, provided that such interest shall not include:
- the authorized compensation paid to an official or employee for any office or employment;
- a time or demand deposit in a financial institution; or
- an endowment or insurance policy or annuity contract purchased from an insurance company; or
- any ownership through purchase at fair market value or inheritance of the shares of a mutual fund corporation, regardless of the value of or dividends on such shares, if such shares are registered on a securities exchange pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended; or
- any ownership through purchase at fair market value or inheritance of not more than $15,000.00 worth of the shares or a corporation, or any corporate subsidiary, parent or affiliate thereof, regardless of the dividends on such shares, if such shares are registered on a securities exchange pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended.
Such interest also shall not include any ownership by a current official or employee through purchase at fair market value or inheritance of not more than one-half of one percent of the outstanding common stock of the shares of a corporation, or any corporate subsidiary, parent or affiliate thereof, regardless of the value or dividends on such shares, if such shares are registered on a securities exchange pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended.
5. Gift* means anything of value given without fair-market consideration.
6. Person* refers to any individual, entity, corporation, partnership, firm, association, union, trust, estate, as well as any parent or subsidiary of any of the foregoing, whether or not operated for profit.
7. Professional Services* means services in any occupation requiring advanced or specialized education and training, including without limitation law, accounting, insurance, real estate, engineering, medicine, architecture, dentistry, banking, finance, public relations, education or consulting.
8. Relative* means a person who is related to an official, candidate for city office, or employee as spouse or as any of the following, whether by blood or adoption: parent, child, brother or sister, aunt or uncle, niece or nephew, grandparent, grandchild, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, stepfather, or stepmother, stepson or stepdaughter, stepbrother or stepsister, half-brother or half-sister.