Sewer Construction and Stormwater Management Requirements


Prior to the start of work, permits are required for the construction, repair, adjustment, rodding or cleaning of any subsurface structure designed to collect or transport storm and/or sanitary waste water, either on private property, or in the public way. Permits can ONLY be obtained by a LICENSED DRAINLAYER. A licensed Drainlayer is a person possessing a current Sewer and Drain License issued by the City of Chicago. Evidence of a current City of Chicago general business or home repair license and a Department of Transportation Public Way Work License must be presented at the time of application for a Drainlayer’s License.

Stormwater Review

Projects that are Regulated Developments under the Stormwater Ordinance require stormwater review and approval before a building permit or a sewer permit are issued.  See the 2016 Stormwater Manual (below), page 6, for a description of what makes a project a Regulated Development.

Sewer Permit Section Telephone: 312.744.3155 or 312.744.3351

Stormwater Review Telephone: 312.744.3351

Service Facts

I Want To