Green Buildings and Homes
Buildings are the number one source of greenhouse gas emissions in Chicago. By building with more efficient and sustainable designs, Chicago reduces its emissions and waste while conserving resources and energy. Mayor Emanuel believes that through these achievements Chicago will lead the world in designing a path to a stronger environmental and economic future. Explore the links below to learn more about Chicago’s green building policies and programs and how you can help.
- Retrofit Chicago - Learn more about Chicago's cross-sector effort to drive energy efficiency in municipal, commercial, and residential buildings across the city.
- Sustainable Operations Plan - With the launch of this plan in April 2015, Chicago has made sustainable practices standard for all City's facilities, including green cleaning, pest management, office equipment and supply procurement.
- Chicago Public Building Commission - Learn about green municipal building projects and Chicago's efforts to integrate environmental features in all new municipal buildings.
- City Hall Rooftop Garden - Learn about Chicago’s most famous rooftop garden on top of City Hall.
- Green Roofs - Find out how a green roof works and how it is built.
- Sustainable Development Policy -Explore the City of Chicago's sustainability standards, specifically city-assisted projects, new planned developments and amendments, and site plan approvals and amendments.