Volunteer at CACC
We are often asked how to best help the dogs and cats at the city’s animal shelter - volunteering is one of the best ways!
Volunteers work to introduce families to pets who will treasure them for life; improve the quality of life for the animals by providing enrichment, exercise, and TLC; prepare pets for their new homes through training and socialization; and inspire others to adopt, foster, volunteer, and donate. At the end of the day, volunteers go home knowing they made a difference in the life of a shelter animal.
Everyone has something to offer.
No matter what your experience level is, you will have the opportunity to provide hands-on care for the animals at CACC as well as other ways to help including:
- Walk, socialize, and show dogs available for adoption
- Socialize, exercise, and show adoptable cats
- Adoption Counseling
- Off-site events (adoptions, vaccine, and microchip clinics, etc.)
- Social Media and Marketing
Plus, you can volunteer at the shelter between the hours of 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. almost any day of the year!
To become a Volunteer at CACC you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Complete the City of Chicago Fingerprint/Background check
- Attend a CACC Volunteer Information Session
- Be able to commit to at least one day per week or 10 hours per month.
- Provide proof of COVID vaccinated for Covid-19
- Note: We strongly suggest that you have a current tetanus shot (within the last five years)
Interested candidates should plan to attend our next Volunteer Information Session to:
- Learn how the shelter operates
- Review our volunteer opportunities
- Tour the shelter
- Receive information on how to complete the application process
- Information Sessions are held virtually twice a month.
Sunday, January 15, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
Wednesday, February 1, 2023- 5:30 p.m.
Sunday, February 19, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, March 1, 2023 - 5:30 p.m
- Sunday, March 19, 2023 - 10:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 5, 2023 - 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, April 23, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 3, 2023 - 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, May 21, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, June 7, 2023 - 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, June 25, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, July 5, 2023 - 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, July 16, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 2, 2023 - 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, August 20, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, September 6, 2023 - 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, September 17, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 4, 2023 - 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, October 22, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
- Sunday, November 19, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
- Sunday, December 17, 2023 - 10:30 a.m.
- Apply to become a volunteer through the City of Chicago Department of Human Resources application portal
- Be available for a short interview process with CACC
- If selected, you would have to submit to a fingerprint background check
- After you submit to the fingerprint background check process, you may schedule training for specific tasks at CACC
- After your fingerprints are cleared, you can begin interacting with the animals at CACC.
Important Program Documents for Review:
VALOR - Veterans Advancing Lives of Rescues
VALOR - Veterans Advancing Lives of Rescues is a partnership of Safe Humane Chicago with CACC and Thresholds Veterans Project, made successful by veterans needing to serve and be connected, dogs needing to please and be connected and volunteers giving and connecting. Veterans and Court Case Dogs team up to discover the benefits of the human-animal bond; new skills, resiliency, compassion and healing. Veterans Advancing Lives of Rescues video.