Permits to close a street for the purpose of holding a block party is requested by a resident of the block through their Aldermanic Offices. These permits are issued free of charge. Issued permits will be sent back to the Aldermanic Office to be distributed to the applicant.
The below link will direct you to the form that can be used to request a block party permit. Individual Wards may require additional information so you should check with you Ward prior to filling out this document. Completed applications are to be returned to the Aldermanic Office where the event is taking place.
Rules Regarding Block Party Permits Requests
- Requests for Block Party Permits from the Aldermanic Offices must be received by the Department of Transportation within three (3) business days prior to event to insure the permit is issued for the event. Permits are issued on a first come, first served basis.
- Block Party Permits will not be issued on any Federal Aid Urban Streets (i.e., arterial streets) or on a bus route.
- Block Party Permits will not be issued for more then one (1) day in succession or to close any street for a commercial purpose.
- A block party permit will only be issued for a single block (intersection to intersection).
- Access to any parking spaces controlled by meters or pay boxes must be maintained at all times.
- In addition to the rules listed above, Block Party Permit requests may be denied by the Department of Transportation for the following reasons:
- Incomplete application (missing information)
- Traffic control issues
- Issues related to other permits issued in the vicinity of the event
- Public safety concerns
Block Party Permit Information Form