Chicago Made TV + Film Career Guide
Did you know Illinois has the third largest movie and recording workforce in the country and is the number one state for film production in the Midwest? The Illinois' film industry also generated $350 million in wages, a number that is projected to grow in the coming years.
The Chicago Film Office led the City’s efforts to bring a record 15 productions to Chicago this summer, at an estimated economic value of $630 million this year alone. In 2019, the Illinois film industry employed 20,000 people and 51% of local crew hires were women or minorities.
Careers in the industry are not limited to the actors and crew. There are a huge variety of skillsets that could lead to job opportunities within the industry. Roles in costuming / wardrobe, carpentry, hair and makeup, production, digital arts, and catering are just a few of the examples.
There are many opportunities to start a Film and TV career in Chicago - Check out the resources below to get started! :
- Chicago Filmmakers: Nonprofit designed to serve independent film and digital video artists. They offer classes, grants, and networking events / opportunities
- Chicago Screenwriters Network: A leading community resource for screenwriters to attend guest speakers and facilitating connection between writers and filmmakers
- Community Film Workshop of Chicago: Empowers citizens in the use of media and provides media arts programming at the Chicago Park District's Harriet Harris Park. Offers youth programming and support for diverse creators
- Chicago Creative Directory: Consolidated list of contacts in the creative industries
- Entertainment Careers Job Board: Tool for job seekers to see postings in Chicago