Independent Farmers Markets Requirements
2022 Online Farmers Market Registration / Permit Application
Required for ALL farmers markets / farm stands in the City of Chicago
DCASE processes Special Events applications for farmers markets and farm stands. We encourage farmers markets as essential businesses increasing neighborhood access to fresh and healthy food.
Permits will be issued but are subject to change based on updated health and safety guidelines from either the City of Chicago or State of Illinois. All events must follow guidelines in place at the time of the event. The health and safety of market shoppers, vendors and staff remain our highest priority.
Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Market Application Process
All farmers markets, whether on private or public property, are required to complete the following steps. Reviews will be facilitated by the DCASE City Markets team, incorporating other City of Chicago departments and agencies as needed for approvals. Please review the following carefully to determine which version of the application you should fill out.
If your Farmers Market:
- Will close City streets or requires curb lane parking (e.g. for vendors or visibility);
- Will serve alcohol;
- Will have tent(s) larger than 20 ft. x 20 ft. (400 sq. ft.); OR
- Will have stage(s) taller than 2 ft.
Please log into the permit application interface and select Festival and Athletic Event Permits.
If none of the above is needed, please log into the permit application interface and select Farmers Market Registrations.
Additional instructions below.
Events taking place on Chicago Park District property require an additional Park District Special Event Permit.
(application works best in Google Chrome)
DCASE Processing Fee:
There is no processing fee for a Farmers Market Registration.
There are CDOT fees for any street closures, based on the request.
For Registrations, please review the Farmers Market Registration Guide for guidance.
For Permits (requiring street closure or curblane parking), please follow the Special Event Permit Application guideline.
- If you are filling out the Festival Event Permit:
- Under "Event Type" pick Festival (do NOT pick Athletic Event)
- On the first page in the Description of Event field, list your full market schedule and times and whether you accept Link.
- In the Event information page, add a line for each date of your market and put in the times needed for the CDOT Permit (not the market hours).
- Questions? Email CityMarkets@cityofchicago.org or call 312.744.4276.
- Market vendors may sell "Grab & Go" food if the food is brought to the market and sold completely sealed
- Market vendors may sell prepared food as long as the vendor has the Summer Festival Food Vendor Sanitation Certificate. More information on this at the Chicago Department of Public Health and the Illinois Restaurant Association.
The City of Chicago strives to be the most accessible and inclusive city in the nation for people with disabilities. Therefore, as a Permit Applicant, please take the following items into consideration and comply with all applicable laws and regulations that protect the rights of people with disabilities.
More information and resources available at the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities.