Skating is FREE and open to the public. Those skating with their own skates will need to pick up a FREE admission wristband.
Ice skating in Millennium Park is presented by Hilton. Hilton Guests will receive up to two pairs of complimentary ice skates per room reservation. Claim yours by showing a current room reservation confirmation for any of Hilton's 17 brands to the skate rental desk. Learn more at travel.hilton.com/ChicagoSkates.
Skate Rentals & Sharpening:
Toddler 8 to Adult 13 available
- $13 Skate Rental Monday–Thursday
- $15 Skate Rental Friday–Sunday and Holidays listed below
- $10 Skate Aide Rental (for new skaters under 42 inches tall)
- $9 Skate Sharpening
Coin-operated locker rentals are available for $1 (4 quarters).
Regular Hours (weather permitting):
- Mondays–Thursdays, noon–8pm
- Fridays, noon–10pm (ice skating lesson at 11am)
- Saturdays & Sundays, 10am–9pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
Free Ice Skating Lessons:
The Winter Workouts program will offer free skating lessons for all ages and skill levels, one hour before the rink opens, on
- Fridays, 11am
- Saturdays & Sundays, 9am
- School Winter Break (December 23—January 3, except December 25 and January 1), 9am
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (January 20), 9am
- Presidents' Day (February 17), 9am
Grant support for Winter Workouts ice skating lessons is provided by McDonald's Active Lifestyles Endowment, managed by the Millennium Park Foundation
Ice Rink DJ Nights
DJs spin the music while skaters spin on the ice on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays, 6–8pm (December 5 & 19, January 2 & 16, February 6 & 20, March 5). Admission is free. Skate rental rates apply.
- Jan. 2 – Shazam Bangles
- Jan. 16 – Jesse De La Pena
- Feb. 6 – Stephanie Manriquez
- Feb. 20 – Ayana Contreras
- Mar. 5 – John Simmons
DJ Nights are supported by the Millennium Park Foundation.
Holiday Hours (Holiday Skate Rental Pricing Applies):
- Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 28: 10am–8pm (no lesson)
- Friday, November 29: 10am–10pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
- Saturday, December 21 & Sunday, December 22: 10am–10pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
- Monday, December 23: 10am–10pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
- Christmas Eve, Tuesday, December 24: 10am–6pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
- Christmas Day, Wednesday, December 25: 10am–8pm (no lesson)
- Thursday, December 26–Monday, December 30: 10am–10pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
- New Year's Eve, Tuesday, December 31: 10am–8pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
- New Year's Day, Wednesday, January 1: 10am–10pm (no lesson)
- Thursday, January 2–Sunday, January 5: 10am–10pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, January 20: 10am–8pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
- Chicago Public School Improvement Day, Friday, January 31: 10am–10pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
- Presidents' Day, Monday, February 17: 10am–8pm (ice skating lesson at 9am)
Ice Resurfacing Times:
Ice resurfacing lasts approximately 15-30 minutes. Times are subject to change based upon weather and ice conditions.
- Monday–Thursdays: 1:30pm, 3pm, 4:30pm & 6:15pm
- Fridays: 1pm, 2:30pm, 4pm, 5:30pm, 7pm & 8:30pm
- Saturdays & Sundays: 11:30am, 1pm, 2:30pm, 4pm, 5:30pm & 7:15pm
The ice rink is open daily depending on weather. Closures due to severe weather will be posted on Millennium Park's facebook and twitter pages. This information is not posted here.
Rules & Regulations:
All rules are enforced at the discretion of Millennium Park and ice rink staff:
- Skate at your own risk
- Skate carefully at all times and be mindful of other skaters. Horseplay, game playing, excessive speed or roughness will not be tolerated. Those skating in a manner that endangers or interferes with the enjoyment of other skaters may be asked to leave.
- Follow any instructions given by ice rink staff
- Skate only in the direction indicated by ice rink staff
- The following are not allowed on the ice. Additional items may be prohibited at the discretion of rink staff:
- Speed skates
- Double-bladed skates
- Street shoes
- Hockey sticks or pucks
- Skate aids or scooters (other than the ones available to rent)
- Strollers or wagons
- Dogs or other pets
- Food or beverages
- Wheelchairs (manual or powered) are allowed on the ice
For information on private skating event options, please contact the Millennium Park Private Events staff.
For partnership and sponsorship opportunities at the ice rink, please contact the DCASE Partnerships staff.