The Part II review process is the second part of the Planned Development review process. Part I involves a series of public hearings by the Chicago Plan Commission and Chicago City Council that culminates in a zoning amendment that reclassifies a designated area as a Planned Development (PD) District. The district contains zoning controls and statements that guide its development.
Part II review involves a review of plans prior to construction to ensure that the development conforms with every aspect of the approved PD amendment. The Part II process is further divided between "long form" reviews that consist primarily of new, large-scale development projects, and "short form" reviews consisting of minor alterations, remodeling, renovations, and repair work.
Part II reviews include but are not limited to architectural and civil drawings that contain:
A list of useful Part II review documents are available for download below:
During the 2015 Budget process, the Chicago City Council increased the Part II Zoning Review Fee to $0.50 per square foot to help offset review costs. The revised Part II Review Fee took effect on January 1, 2015.
The Part II Review Fee is calculated by Part II Review staff after an initial review of a Planned Development (PD) project. A Part II Review Fee notification letter is then generated by staff and sent to the applicant or to the applicant’s agent/designee.
As before, the Planned Development filing fee of $1,500 is due upon filing an application for review with the Zoning Administrator, per Section 17-13-0103-A of the Chicago Zoning Ordinance.
The Part II Review Fee indicated in the Part II Review Fee notification letter must be paid and a date/stamped receipt submitted by the applicant or the applicant’s agent/designee to the Part II Review staff. The receipt can be submitted in person or a scanned copy can be sent via e-mail before any Part II Review can resume and any approval can be issued for the project. Please follow the instructions below.
1. Payment must be made in person between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the Department of Revenue’s (DOR) Payment Center at City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle St., Room 107A, Chicago, or between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at the DOR payment window at City Hall, Room 905.
2. Checks should be made payable to the City of Chicago.
3. If you have experienced a non-sufficient funds hold, you must pay by cash, cashier’s check or certified check.
4. At least two copies of the notification letter must be submitted to the DOR with payment; one for DOR staff and one for Part II staff.
5. DOR will provide a receipt. Duplicate receipts may be requested.
6. Return one copy of the notification letter and proof of payment to Part II Review staff in Room 905 of City Hall to continue Part II Review. A scanned copy may be sent via e-mail to the associated reviewer.
Questions related to the Part II Review Fee should be directed to Erik Glass, Department of Planning and Development, via email at Erik.Glass@cityofchicago.org or by phone at (312) 744-4179.
PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH COLLEAGUES AND OTHER INTERESTED PARTIES.