Adjacent Neighbors Land Acquisition Program (ANLAP)
The Adjacent Neighbors Land Acquisition Program (ANLAP) allows homeowners in certain areas within the city of Chicago to purchase vacant city-owned lots for less than market value if the parcel meets certain criteria established by the law.
Eligibility Criteria For Purchases With ANLAP:
- Purchaser must provide proof of ownership and occupancy of the property immediately adjacent to the vacant lot. Proof must be provided in the form of a deed, title policy, etc.
- The vacant lot must be zoned either RM-5, RT-4, RS 1-3
- The appraised fair market value (FMV) of the lot must not exceed $50,000
- Minimum bids for parcels with the FMV of $10,000 or less must be $1,000
- Minimum bids for parcels with the FMV of $10,001 to $20,000 must be $2,000
- Minimum bids for parcels with the FMV of $20,001 or more must be $2,000 + 50% of the FMV exceeding $20,001
- Purchaser must not be delinquent in payment of real estate taxes and/or other debts to the city of Chicago.
- A letter of support from the alderman whose ward occupies the ANLAP parcel and City Council approval is required for all purchases.
- The purchase of the ANLAP parcel must be finalized within six months of City Council approval.
ANLAP Fact Sheet
Fees are non-refundable, and payment must be in the form of a certified or cashier's check.
- Application fee: $150
- Earnest Money/Good Faith Deposit: 10% of the purchase price is due within sixty days of City Council approval.
Covenant/Restrictions of the ANLAPparcel are below:
- Buyer can only purchase one parcel through the ANLAP program.
- Buyer cannot sell the ANLAP parcel separate from the adjacent property.
- The ANLAP parcel must be improved within six months of conveyance. Improvements to the ANLAP parcel are limited to garage, integrated house-addition to your residence on the adjacent property, and/or landscaping.
- The restrictions listed above will expire ten years after the date of conveyance.
To begin the ANLAP process, review and complete the ANLAP Application fax or mail to:
Department of Planning and Development
121 N. LaSalle St.
City Hall, Room 1003
Chicago, IL 60602
Ph: 312.744.LAND (5263)