Adjacent Neighbors Land Acquisition Program (ANLAP)
New Land Sale Program Now Live!
As of Nov. 17, 2022, the Department of Planning and Development (DPD) has consolidated its land sale programs into a single portal called ChiBlockBuilder. Those interested in acquiring and redeveloping City-owned land can find the most up-to-date information at the ChiBlockBuilder website.
The information below about the City's previous land sale procedures has been preserved for reference.
The Adjacent Neighbors Land Acquisition Program (ANLAP) allows homeowners in certain areas within the city of Chicago to purchase vacant city-owned lots for less than market value if the parcel meets certain criteria established by the law.
Eligibility Criteria For Purchases With ANLAP:
- Purchaser must provide proof of ownership and occupancy of the property immediately adjacent to the vacant lot. Proof must be provided in the form of a deed, title policy, etc.
- The vacant lot must be zoned either RM-5, RT-4, RS 1-3
- The appraised fair market value (FMV) of the lot must not exceed $50,000
- Minimum bids for parcels with the FMV of $10,000 or less must be $1,000
- Minimum bids for parcels with the FMV of $10,001 to $20,000 must be $2,000
- Minimum bids for parcels with the FMV of $20,001 or more must be $2,000 + 50% of the FMV exceeding $20,001
- Purchaser must not be delinquent in payment of real estate taxes and/or other debts to the city of Chicago.
- A letter of support from the alderman whose ward occupies the ANLAP parcel and City Council approval is required for all purchases.
- The purchase of the ANLAP parcel must be finalized within six months of City Council approval.
ANLAP Fact Sheet
Fees are non-refundable, and payment must be in the form of a certified or cashier's check.
- Application fee: $150
- Earnest Money/Good Faith Deposit: 10% of the purchase price is due within sixty days of City Council approval.
Covenant/Restrictions of the ANLAPparcel are below:
- Buyer can only purchase one parcel through the ANLAP program.
- Buyer cannot sell the ANLAP parcel separate from the adjacent property.
- The ANLAP parcel must be improved within six months of conveyance. Improvements to the ANLAP parcel are limited to garage, integrated house-addition to your residence on the adjacent property, and/or landscaping.
- The restrictions listed above will expire ten years after the date of conveyance.