The Department of Human Resources works with City departments, agencies, boards, and commissions to attract and keep a talented and diverse workforce for the City of Chicago. The City employs over 25,000 people in more than 1,000 different job categories. We are committed to developing careers that make a difference in the lives of others.
Department of Human Services:
- Establishes the City of Chicago’s human resources policies;
- Manages and approves all human resources functions within the City;
- Advises City departments and Department Heads on human resources matters;
- Ensures a fair and equitable hiring process through the use of CAREERS, our award-winning job search engine;
- And directs the creation of programs that promote employee development and enhance management skills for employees and supervisors throughout City government.