Mayor Emanuel and DCASE Announce Chicago Bike Week to Promote Cycling June 10-14 As Part of Bike Chicago 2013
Bike to Work Rally Returns to Daley Plaza on June 14
Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announce the schedule for Chicago Bike Week taking place June 10-14 as part of Bike Chicago 2013, presented by the City of Chicago and Goose Island Beer Company.
“More and more people are biking on our streets and lakefront path, whether it is to ride to work, to the store or just for fitness,” said Mayor Rahn Emanuel. “Bicycling is a reliable, fast, affordable, and healthy form of transportation that all residents, young and old, can utilize and enjoy. I am committed to making Chicago the most bike-friendly city in the United States.”
Throughout the week, bicycling in Chicago will be promoted through a PSA video contest and various events including: a planned downtown bike tour, spin classes daily at Cloud Gate, a movie night in Millennium Park and the Bike to Work Rally on Daley Plaza.
Chicago Bike Week Schedule of Events:
- Monday, June 10 - Wednesday, June 12 - Spinning Alfresco presented by Life Time Fitness, The Healthy Way of Life Company. Start your day with FREE outdoor spin classes at Cloud Gate in Millennium Park. Space is limited and bikes will be available on a first-come, first-served basis with two classes at 6:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m.
- Monday, June 10 – Velo Yoga by Moksha will offer a free outdoor yoga class with tailored poses for cyclists on Daley Plaza, 50 W. Washington St., beginning at noon.
- Tuesday, June 11 – Bike Chicago Feature Film in Millennium Park with a special screening of The Triplets of Belleville, a 2003 animated comedy about a grandmother’s journey to rescue her grandson who was kidnapped while competing in the Tour de France. Start time is dusk.
- Wednesday, June 12 – Near North Bike Tour led by Lee Diamond of Chicago Neighborhood Bike Tours. Join us for a FREE two-hour tour of the Near North Side beginning at 6:30 p.m. Pre-registration is required. Ride is limited to 150 participants. Visit bikechicago.us for registration and event details.
- Thursday, June 13 – Life Time Cycle Palooza will be the culminating event of the Spinning Alfresco classes, beginning at 5:30 p.m. at Cloud Gate in Millennium Park. Join 100 fellow spinners for an evening spin class at Cloud Gate. Bikes will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Bike to Work Rally: The week’s festivities will culminate on Friday, June 14 at 7 a.m. with the Bike to Work Rally on Daley Plaza (Washington and Dearborn streets). Join thousands of cyclists for live music and FREE continental breakfast provided by 7-Eleven. Also, all cyclists will receive a FREE T-shirt as well as use of the complimentary Kickstart by Mountain Dew Free Bike Valet.
Bike Chicago 2013 PSA Contest
As part of Bike Chicago 2013, Goose Island Beer Company, theChainlink.org and Active Transportation Alliance are hosting a public service announcement (PSA) video contest to help spread the message that bicycling is a fun, healthy and an environmentally-friendly form of transportation in the City of Chicago.
The winning submission will receive a prize from Goose Island Beer Company and theChainlink.org. Video finalists will be shown at the Bike Chicago Feature Film in Millennium Park on Tuesday, June 11 and the winners will be announced at the City of Chicago’s Bike to Work Rally on Friday, June 14. Submissions are being accepted now at theChainlink.org and the deadline is Monday, May 13.
Presented by the City of Chicago and Goose Island Beer Company, Bike Chicago 2013 is a celebration of Chicago’s commitment to become even more bicycle friendly and environmentally conscious. After you finish your ride this summer take your taste buds for a spin with your favorite Goose Island beer at bike friendly craft beer destinations throughout Chicagoland. For more information about Goose Island Beer Company or their events visit Gooseisland.com.
Bike Chicago 2013 is presented by Goose Island Beer Company in partnership with Kickstart by Mountain Dew, 93XRT, Aquafina, Life Time, Chicago Transit Authority, 7-Eleven, theChainlink.org and Active Transportation Alliance. For more information and details on Chicago Bike Week and Bike Chicago 2013, please call 312.744.3316 or visit bikechicago.us. Join the conversation on Facebook (Bike Chicago) or follow us on Twitter at @ChicagoDCASE, #ChiBikeWeek.